Chapter 9: Bonding Time

Ubuyahiki was thrilled with your response, which Rengoku had so kindly forwarded to him, and wrote you a detailed response as to the conditions you brought forward. He'd happily provide and protect your children, and meet you at night.

He had no problems meeting you at night, while it did put them at a disadvantage you would die if you went into the sun. Therefore, he would take the handicap of meeting you during the night.

He was giddy for the next few days, awaiting the meeting, and finally, see Rengoku again. Seeing that Rengoku was okay was a vastly different feeling than just hearing it.

⬛⬛⬛

Rengoku had still trained just as hard as he had before, yet he was more distracted than usual. He kept drifting the last letter you had sent, which had been signed with what appeared to be a kiss. There was slight coloration at the bottom of the letter, which he had never seen on your previous ones.

He couldn't fight the blush from rising to his cheeks at the thought of the letter. He had grumbled when he read it and rewrote the words on a separate piece of paper before sending it to Ubuyashiki.

He would not admit that he rewrote the letter because he wanted to be able to keep it. Nope, that was not at all why he rewrote it and then sent it to Ubuyashiki. He set the letter next to his sword, which he hadn't been using very often during training.

He had switched to using a weighted Bokken, specifically one that was heavier than his current sword so that he would be able to handle the lighter blade more effectively in the future.

He was nervous about seeing all the other Hashira at the meeting, he didn't want to acknowledge that he was afraid of them ridiculing him. He would just have to take the insults and hope they didn't dig too deep. I am a grown man, and a Hashira, a few mean words mean nothing. He thought, nodding to himself as he continued to train.

⬛⬛⬛

You had continued with your boring cycle of watching over the estate and the nearby village. There weren't any demons nearby because of the demon slayers being so close. You knew you would be taking someone with you to the meeting of the rest of the demon slayers.

You knew you were strong but not strong enough to take on all the Hashira that would be present. You needed to get into contact with Akaza quickly before it was too late.

You whistled, hoping your owl would be nearby. She was, hooting as she landed on your shoulder. You pet her, handing her a prewritten letter to tell Akaza to meet you in the nearby village. It was brief and wildly vague considering you didn't want anyone else to intercept the letter and figure out what was going on.

She cooed and took off towards where Akaza was reported to be. You watched her leave, hoping she'd be able to catch him in time. You knew Akaza would be the best bet out of all of your children. He had freedom because of his high rank, and because of the said rank, he was often sent off on missions. Missions where he had very little if any supervision.

You'd just have to wait and hope they would come back together. You'd just have to hope, which is all you can do. Shit, you thought. You'd have to send a letter to Tamayo too so she would know that someone would be coming to get your children.

"How am I gonna do that without waiting for Arelis to get back?" You mumbled to yourself, pacing to try and get your mind working. You perked up, snapping your fingers and letting out a little gasp. "Kaname! Rengoku said I could call him if I needed to get ahold of him."

You were still pacing around, about to call out for the crow, "but Rengoku said I could use Kaname if I needed to talk to him, " you huffed but decided it would be better to apologize than to ask for permission.