Christmas Special

Notes: This is short, sweet, and to the point. I hope you guys enjoy it!

You tried to cover your body more as a nipping wind whipped through your temporary home. Rengoku had invited you to spend this holiday called "Christmas" with him and his family, and he had just exited and accidentally left the door cracked. 

You wouldn't complain, considering you were a guest, but the whole holiday was confusing for you. Your children were still with Ubuyashiki and you wondered if he too celebrated this strange event. 

Rengoku rushed back in, rubbing his hands up and down his arms in hopes of gathering more warmth, the door clicking shut behind him. "Sorry, there was a messenger from Master Ubuyashiki, he said that the children are fairing well in the cold." You smiled up at him, sitting in front of the lit hearth, "thank you Rengoku, I really can't thank you enough for all you've done for my family." 

He blushed and turned away, a hand raising and running through his long and tangled hair. "It's nothing really, the praise is unnecessary, you did save my life after all." You laughed softly, "then I guess that makes us even?"

He smiled back at you, sitting next to you, "yes I believe it does."  You smiled at each other but his intense stare caused you to grow further embarrassed. You turned, face flushed deeply. "Oh," he spoke out softly, "please call me by my given name when we're alone." His tone was soft, his gaze softer. 

"Of course, Kyojuro," you breathed, flush deepening even more so. He found his own face heating with bashfulness. It sounded so good coming from you, he bit his lip unconsciously and leaned further into your space.  

Just as he shifted his weight to bring a hand to cup your face you broke the silence, "so what is this holiday you invited me to celebrate anyway?" He was dumbfounded, "you don't know what Christmas is?" He questioned. 

You shook your head, and he was thoroughly surprised. "It's pretty common and popular here now. I," he paused, "I'm not sure why you don't know the holiday." He mumbled to himself, rubbing his chin in thought. 

"I've been out of touch for a long time, but I will celebrate with you nonetheless," you smiled and rubbed his shoulder. He sat still, thinking, for only another moment before he snapped back and continued conversing with you. 

You had a blanket wrapped around your shoulders, accidentally cutting him off mid-sentence to ask, "aren't you cold Kyojuro?" You stared up at the flame hashira curiously. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I interrupted you." You gasped and covered your mouth with a hand. 

When you were still human a man could have punished a woman for interrupting him. Your husband would never have been that cruel, and while you firmly believed Rengo-Kyojuro would never do that, you were always wary. 

"Oh... A little," he smiled sheepishly. You opened one side of your blanket, and you'd never seen a man, who wasn't fighting for his life, move so fast. He ducked in, snuggling up to your side and grabbing the blanket that you had held out to wrap around himself. 

You withheld your laughter, simply snuggling back into the larger body. He was warm, and you wanted to melt into him, merge your beings in hopes of staying this warm for the rest of your life. 

If you could purr you were sure you would be shaking his bones with the forcefulness of the noise. You couldn't purr, however, so you just tucked your body as close as possible. Somehow the two of you ended with you tucking yourself so closely that your head rested under his chin, and he took the liberty of resting his chin there. 

You didn't comment, enjoying the quiet and peacefulness of the interaction, and he seemed to feel the same way. He lowered his head, taking a deep breath, breathing in your scent and reveling in the sweetness of it.