Chapter 24: Rengoku's Feelings

Notes: Honestly, I was just super lazy with getting this chapter out. I also felt like I hit a road block, but I think I'm over it now, so I'm hoping it'll be easier from here on out. 

Also just to note, all of the line/black blocks are hard paragraph breaks which is just me switching POVs

Akaza sat upright, watching you as a predator does prey. You growled at him, daring him to try and engage with you again. There was a flash of clarity in his eyes before he was coming at you full force again.

You were growing tired, your body trying to regenerate but getting reinjured too quickly. He had you slammed back up against a tree, and you held his jaw in your hands to prevent him from biting you.

⬛⬛⬛

Rengoku had been lost in his thoughts when he heard yelling. He was ripped out of his thoughts then, rushing towards the house you were staying in.

He met Mitsuri at the middle junction of the paths. They both exchanged glances and continued to run towards the continued struggle. They heard growls and yells of pain. Rengoku felt fear rippling through every one of his muscles then.

He hadn't feared so heavily for someone's life in years. He couldn't help how his steps quickened, getting there mere moments before Mitsuri. He ran forward, skidding to a stop.

He only saw movements past the fabric of the door, trying to understand what he was seeing. You both busted through the door, however, and they both knew that something would have to happen.

Mitsuri rushed to get the children out due to Rengoku's instruction. He ran to his own temporary home. He was desperately trying to find anything to help deter demons. He didn't want to hurt you, but if he didn't get Akaza off of you, he might kill you.

He wasn't sure why he suddenly couldn't bear the thought of not having you around anymore, considering how he'd just been lost in his thoughts about how to deal with the story of you becoming a demon.

But none of that mattered as he gathered all of his supplies to injure demons. He rushed out, running back towards your home. The children were nowhere in sight.

He heard Mitsuri yell at Akaza, and his heart leapt into his throat. Akaza slowly turned towards Mitsuri, and tried to attack her. You were able to stop him, and you pressed your hand on Mitsuri's chest to stop her from moving. Rengoku let out a small sigh of relief, shoulder's sagging in relief.

But Akaza was on you again, drool pooling past his snapping teeth. Rengoku felt panic pool in his chest. He felt his chest go cold, and his body was moving before he fully processed it.

He wanted to kill Akaza, the anger deep in his bones and he tackled the other demon off of you.

⬛⬛⬛

Rengoku finally returned, but you were too distracted to notice. He tackled Akaza off of you, stabbing him through the shoulder. He sat on top of the demon, in the sun, and poured some kind of oil on the man.

Akaza shrieked in pain, and you reached to push Rengoku off of him. Mitsuri held you back, her arms wrapped under yours. "Rengoku! You'll kill him!" You cried, struggling against the strong slayer behind you. Rengoku had a grimace on his face, but all you could hear and see was Akaza's pained expression and his shrieks of discomfort.

You could see him slowly burn away, tears already pooling and cascading down your face. Akaza went limp, and that was when Rengoku withdrew his sword from Akaza's shoulder and dragged him into the shade.

You were still struggling against Mitsuri, but Rengoku plopped Akaza down right next to you. You reached for him, but hissed in pain and jerked your hand back. "What did you do?" You questioned, sounding betrayed.