Chapter 23: Feral Demons

Notes: I feel like I got this out relatively quickly, but either way I had a lot of fun writing this chapter and hope you all enjoy reading it as well!

⬛⬛⬛

After Oka fell asleep, you kissed his forehead once again. You stood up, feeling your knees wobble in exhaustion. Misa popped around a corner, surprising you again. "Misa, what's wrong sweety?" You questioned as she ran up to you crying.

"Can you read me a bedtime story too?" She questioned as she rubbed her eyes. "Were you asleep?" You asked softly as you rubbed her back. She nodded in response, "nightmare," she whimpered.

You cooed at her, rubbing her back and guiding her to the library. Once you entered you moved towards the bookshelves, thumbing through the titles. "What story would you like?" She looked up at where your hands were, scanning through them as well.

Her eyes widened at the sight of one particular story. "Can you read Kintaro's Adventures?" asked with enthusiasm. You nodded, grabbing the book and her hand and having her guide you back to her room.

Once you entered she crawled into her bed, tugging the sheet up to her chin. "Which one of his adventures would you like to hear?" You opened the book, finding the contents, and reading through the adventure's titles. "The Rolling Rice Cakes please," she spoke politely. You nodded, thumbing to the page number and beginning to read.

As you were reading she began nodding off, trying hopelessly to stay awake to hear the end of the story. She was unsuccessful and fell asleep a little over halfway through the story.

You continued reading for another minute or two, just in case her sleep was very light. When you looked up again she was still asleep, so as quietly as you could, you stood up and put the book back next to her bed.

You crouched down to kiss her forehead as well and pulled the comforter to cover her better. You smiled down at the young 10-year-old and quietly exited her room and shut her door.

You turned and were startled by Akaza staring at you. You almost jumped out of your skin, clenching the fabric over your heart. "Good god Akaza could have given me a warning," you huffed, heart only barely slowing down after Akaza scared you.

He quirked his head, a small smile coming over his face and a light chuckle leaving his mouth. "Sorry mother," he snickered but said nothing else. "What did you need?" You questioned as you walked towards the kitchen.

He trailed behind you, his hands clasped behind his back. "Just curious where you were, didn't see you for a while." He remarked. You released a breath through your nose, "Misa and Oka needed bedtime stories. Misa had a nightmare, and poor Oka needed some attention."

Akaza waited for you to turn around, and rolled his eyes with a huff. As soon as you turned back around, however, his face was neutral again. "What are you doing now then?" Akaza asked as he moved closer to you.

"Preparing breakfast for tomorrow," you stated as you moved around the kitchen. Akaza hummed, only standing nearby and watching, waiting for instruction. You gave none, so he just stood there and waited for you to finish.

After you had washed your hands you turned your full attention to him, cocking your head in inquisition. "Do you need something Akaza?" You spoke candidly.

A small flush covered his cheeks, and he turned away from you, opening up his posture slightly and showing his palms forward. You smiled sympathetically, coming forward and leading him toward the family room.

You opened and closed the door behind the two of you, and sat down. You tugged him into the empty space in front of you. He was facing you but sunk into an embrace with your hands carding through his hair.