Chapter 19: Yushiro is dead

You'd wandered off, trying to place where exactly you were. You were trying to gather your bearings, still feeling like you were in a thick fog mentally. You were stumbling around, pinging off of trees left and right. "Mother!" Akaza called after you, trying to catch up to you before you bounced off of another tree.

He grabbed your upper arm, pulling you into his chest. You groaned, smacking him away. "Quit it," you groaned again as you continued to stumble your way through the forest. Akaza grunted, reeling away from you.

He was shocked by the fact that you had just hit him. She must be out of it, he thought bitterly. You hadn't hit him in decades, not unless you were sparring. His hand rested where you had hit him, still reeling from the sting that was left behind.

"Mother please," he called out to your retreating form. "Please just come back," Akaza pleaded. You stuttered in your rhythm for a moment before stopping completely. You stood there, not looking behind you to the begging form of Akaza.

He rushed up to you, circling his arms around your form in hopes of preventing you from running away. He knew you'd be able to beat him if you really tried, but he hoped the small barrier would discourage you from putting up too much of a fight.

"What's going on mother? The others are waiting for you." He whispered in hopes of not breaking whatever trance you seemed to be in. "I..." You sighed and looked down at his arms that were wrapped firmly around your torso. "I'm not sure, everything just feels wrong," you breathe and lean back slightly into Akaza's body.

He tightened his hold, giving you a semblance of a hug, and tucked his chin into your shoulder. You reached up slowly, rubbing his hair softly. It calmed you and gave you something to ground yourself.

"I'm sorry for hitting you," you mumbled absently. He said nothing, only snuggling further into your body. After a few moments of simply being present with each other, you gently pushed his arms away from you. He was hesitant to relinquish his grip but eased his arms away from you.

You turned, smiled at him, and headed back toward the children. You were excited to see them especially after having not been able to converse with them in a few weeks. You had missed the routine of having your children with you and were happy to be able to have that again even if only for a short time.

⬛⬛⬛

The children followed behind you diligently, asking questions here and there, but otherwise looking around them in wonderment. Akaza was in the back, making sure all of the children kept up, and Tamayo and Yushiro were beside the small group. You'd encircled the children, making sure no one wandered off and no that anyone who attempted to ambush you would be seen by an adult first.

"Where have you been mom?" Arita questioned. You looked over your shoulder at him, and he looked up at the trees' tops. "I know I was gone for a long time and I'm really sorry for my absence. I was ensuring that you would all be safe upon your return. I had to find you all a new home as well, somewhere safer."

Arita nodded, beginning to understand the situation. As one of the oldest he usually had an easier time understanding your role and the things, you would do for him and his siblings than his younger siblings did.

They only knew that the woman who cared deeply for them and provided for them was gone without any explanation. Many of them felt abandoned and it was his and Sasori's job to comfort them. Tamayo was of great help, while Yushiro was useless.

"Oh mom," Sasori cut in. "Yes?"

"Yushiro was mean to Oka." You halted, head snapping to the youngest demon. "What?" You grit. "Mmhm. He was mean to Oka because Ms. Tamayo was hugging him." Your eye twitched, ever so slightly and Akaza stepped back.