Chapter 16: Wingme-people

Notes: Hello everyone! This was supposed to be out two days ago so I apologize for that. I'll do my best to update you all on time. Thank you guys for reading!

⬛⬛⬛

Uzui and Mitsuri watched the two of you interact, and it was infuriating. You both danced around each other like dumb teenagers. Never touching each other, staring at the other when they were looking away, and making the most awkward of eye contact. Mitsuri and Uzui were ready to tear each other's hair out.

On multiple occasions, Mutsuri or Uzui had gone to stomp over to help you two get it together, but the other had prevented them from doing so. They were standing just far enough not to be noticed, peaking from the side of a wall, and the two of you were being insufferable.

Uzui had groaned for what was probably the thousandth time at seeing Rengoku's horrible attempt at flirting. Uzui had heard him say how he enjoyed the food you gave him. But he also saw how the other man's face fell when all you did was thank Rengoku.

You were both so painfully obvious that Uzui wished to gouge his eyes out. "A blind and deaf man could see better than those two idiots," Uzui grumbled. "I know," Misturi groaned herself, dragging out the previous word. "I want to go over and help them, they'll never realize their own feelings without help." She spoke and peeked up at the taller man.

His face was contemplative, pensive even. But when he lowered his head to look down at Misturi, she felt a trickle of fear roll down her body. His gaze was feral, a face-splitting grin appearing on his lips. "I think that's a great idea." Oh, what had Mitsuri done?

⬛⬛⬛

You had waited patiently for the rest of the Hashira to leave, wanting to speak with Rengoku alone. You had a semblance of trust in him, but the others were still strangers, strangers you couldn't trust just yet.

Muichiro was still clutching your haori, running his fingers down it and playing with the fabric. Rengoku sat beside you, still looking at your face. He watched you for a moment, trying to figure out what you would have looked like during the day, with the sun shining on your face. The warmth of it tanning your skin, he wondered if it would make you look more lively.

When the last of the Hashira had left you finally turned to meet his gaze. You had felt him watching you, but chose not to comment on it, not seeing a point in embarrassing him.

While you trusted Rengoku, you desperately did not want to tell him about how you became a demon, so you decided to stall until you had no other choice. "Is there anything else you wish to ask me Rengoku?" You questioned and adjusted yourself to better face the man beside you.

Rengoku could tell you were stalling but he understood that some things take time, and he was a patient man. "How old are you exactly?" He queried but quickly attempted to back peddle. "You don't have to tell me, I know it's rude to ask a woman's age, I apologize," he rubbed his face in embarrassment.

You help back a chortle but took a deep breath, attempting to do that math in your head. "While this is an estimate, as I'm not sure of my exact age, I'd estimate around 900 or so years." You had a hand resting on your chin, trying to give him a more accurate number.

He choked, he had not thought you could be that old, but he recovered quickly. "You look exceptional for your age (Y/n)." He nodded to himself, knowing his mother would be proud of how he handled the situation. You laughed, "thank you Rengoku, I greatly appreciate the sentiment, makes me feel young again," you joked at the man.

But you had more information to give him."I know it took a while for the demon slayers to form, but when they did, I joined... Behind my husband's back. Sometimes I regret doing so, but if I hadn't, then I wouldn't have met any of my children, much less you," you spoke meekly and smiled up at Rengoku.