0 ~ Prologue

Yuu hesitated before the door leading to Azul's office in Octavinelle. What was she doing making a deal? Was she that desperate?

Unfortunately, yes she was.

She knocked on the door a few times, hoping there would be no response. But alas, a familiar voice called, "Come in," forcing Yuu to make her decision and open the door, letting herself in.

Azul Ashengrotto, the freshman that had made a name for himself by monopolizing Octavinelle and transforming it into the home of the Mostro Lounge, his very own restaurant. He was also known for his deals; the prices were steep, but it was rumored that no matter the request, he was always able to pull through. He wasn't even a Housewarden yet, but he held so much influence and promise that everyone knew who would be leading Octavinelle next year.

His eyes flitted up from his laptop and upon seeing Yuu, he gave her a kind smile. "Ah, Yuu! I must say, it's a surprise to see you here. How can I help you?" He closed his laptop and moved to sit on one of the black sofas, gesturing for her to sit as well.

She sat across from him, crossing her legs and staring at the table. "So, um... basically, I need to know how to swim for a role I got for the Film Research club, but I don't know how to swim, and Vil said the only way he'll let me stay in the club is if I learn how to swim... but when I said that I wouldn't mind switching to another club, he said he'd cut my hair if I did that, and I'm quite fond of my hair, so..."

Azul brought a hand to his chin, studying the way she nervously fidgeted with the cloth of her violet dorm uniform. A slight smile rose to his face. "He'll cut your hair? You must be a good actress if he's threatening you like so."

"I'd like to think so, but I have a feeling it's cause he wants to keep an eye on me to 'learn to carry myself properly' and 'ensure I reach my full potential.'" She stuck out her tongue, expressing her distaste. Sure, she was in Pomefiore, but that didn't mean she was fond of acting stiff all the time and pretending to care about if she always looked her best. "I doubt he'd actually mess with my hair, but he's definitely going to be annoying about it if I don't learn how to swim..."

He chuckled at her expression, moving to grab a pen and notepad from his desk. "How proficient do you need to be at swimming in order to sufficiently execute your role?"

"Well, I guess for now I only need to just know how to not drown when I step into a pool, but he said he wants me to learn well since it's a good life skill or whatever." She blew a strand of hair out of her face as she grumbled, "I bet he only said that so I'm prepared for future roles..."

Azul moved back to his seat across from her, proposing, "I can have Jade and Floyd help you out for as long as it takes for you to learn. When do you need to know how to swim by?"

"Whenever's fine since the water scene isn't that major, but..." She trailed off, eliciting a curious look from Azul. "What is it?" he inquired. "Do you have any additional constraints?"

She glanced away from him to her shoes. "Are Jade and Floyd going to be the best teachers? I mean, Jade might, but Floyd... and they both probably won't be very good at instructing someone like me..."

"I can arrange for someone else to help you out, then."

"Actually, I was wondering..." She laced her fingers together as she glanced back up at him demurely. "Could you teach me?"

He blinked a few times, stunned by her query. "Is-Is there a reason? I'm not sure how I'd be any better than Jade or Floyd at helping you out, seeing as I'm also a merman." He willed his cheeks to not heat up and hint at his secret feelings.

'Oh Azul, you stupid octopus, can't you take a hint?'

"Well... I imagine you'd be a better teacher, and you mentioned you weren't the fastest swimmer, even when you lived in the Coral Sea, right? I feel like the twins would be judging me, since they're really fast swimmers... Plus, I'm more acquainted with you."

Azul cleared his throat, responding, "I'm not sure how well I'd be able to help you, seeing as I've only had legs for a couple of months, but if you're positive you want me to be the one to teach you, I'll try to help you to the best of my ability."

Truthfully, Azul was elated by Yuu's proposal. Surprised, but elated. He'd developed a particular fondness for her and couldn't fathom why she'd want him of all people to help her, especially when there were better options, but he wasn't about to pass up the opportunity.

"Ah, there's one issue..."

They locked eyes and Yuu continued, "I can't give up my magic as collateral. Is there any other way I can pay you, money aside?"

Azul's mind raced as ways to answer flew threw his head. Things like 'why don't you go on a date with me?' or 'you can pay me by being my girlfriend'. Things he would never dare to say out loud.

Instead, what came out of his mouth was, "Why don't you work for the Mostro Lounge? I imagine you'd be very good for business."

"What makes you say that?"

'Shot myself in the foot,' Azul silently cursed himself, fumbling with his words. "Ah, I mean, students from Pomefiore tend towards the a-attractive side, and you're rather likable as well..."

Yuu felt warmth rise to her cheeks. 'Azul thinks I'm attractive and likable?'

"Thank you," she laughed awkwardly, the volume of her voice dropping to near a whisper. "But I'm worried if I work, my grades might start to drop..."

"You only have to work two hours a day. We'll pay you," he said quickly, causing Yuu to raise an eyebrow. "I mean, we'll allow you tips. It wouldn't be fair of us to rake in all of the cash attained by your efforts, though you still need to hold up your end of the deal."

He summoned up a contract and Yuu read it thoroughly, surprised by how relaxed the terms seemed. She hadn't heard the best things about Azul's deals, and from being in class with him, she took him to be an excellent businessman who wouldn't pass up an opportunity to make a more significant profit, so she was surprised to see how lenient her contract seemed to be.

She didn't want to hesitate lest he rescind the offer, so after skimming through it one last time, she signed the contract.

"Thank you for your patronage, Yuu," Azul told her with his signature charming smile. "I look forward to seeing you more often."