13 ~ Romantic

"There is not a sight in the world more terrifying than waking up to Floyd Leech tucking you in."

Yuu stifled the loud laugh that nearly escaped her. "Hey, if you don't overwork yourself, you won't have to experience that ever again~"

"There's just so much to do," Azul sighed, picking a flower from the Botanical Gardens for Alchemy. "I don't have the time to take a break. And I've been getting more clients who want to make deals, as well."

She took the flower from him, allowing him to guide them to the next plant they needed. "Don't neglect yourself or I'll break up with you," Yuu joked, but she quickly caught herself. "Wait, sorry-it was just a joke, I promise I won't break up with you, please don't feel bad!"

"It's okay, it's okay," he reassured her, giving her a smile. "...Thank you for trying so hard for me. I really do appreciate you respecting my boundaries."

Yuu smacked his arm playfully. "Don't thank me! I'm not doing anything special."

She inspected the flower for a few moments. "Hey, Azul?"

"What is it?"

"We've been dating for a while, right?"

"That depends on what you're speaking in relation to."

"C'mon, you know what I mean! It's been, like, a decent amount of time, right?"

"...Now that you mention it, it has been quite a while. Almost two months."

She didn't respond, causing Azul to turn to her curiously. "Is there something on your mind?"

"We... haven't been on a date yet, have we?"

"...I'm a terrible boyfriend," Azul said under his breath moving to wrap his arms around Yuu and burying his face in the crook of her neck. "I am so sorry. You've even mentioned it a few times in the past, and I..."

She would've squished his cheeks if her hands weren't so full with the ingredients they needed for Alchemy. "Azul, it's okay! I could've asked you out on a date just as easily! And anyway, it makes sense-both of us have been super busy!"

"I feel terrible," Azul mumbled dramatically, drawing back slightly so he could look at Yuu. She gave his fraught gaze a bright smile. "It's not like dates are a must. We've been doing just fine without them, see?"

He let out a deep sigh. "Even so..." He clipped a few leaves from a plant and added it to the pile of things in Yuu's arms. "I want to become a boyfriend that's worthy of you."

"Azul, stop it with that. You're already perfect for me. You don't have to become anything more."

"Something about the way you say it makes me want to believe you."

"Then believe me," Yuu replied, "because it's the truth." She moved carefully so as to not drop the items in her arms and gave him a chaste kiss on the lips. "You're a better boyfriend than I could've ever wished for."

He faltered for a moment before his expression softened, leaving him with a warm smile. "Thank you, dearest."

"Dearest~?" Yuu teased. His expression hardened once again, though playfully this time. "Do you not want me to call you that?"

"No, I like it," she laughed, "I just thought you'd feel too shy to call me anything but my name. Yet somehow at the same time, It's a very you thing to do..."

Azul took half of the items Yuu was holding to lighten the load she was carrying as they headed back to the classroom. "Well, my dear, I find that I feel more secure in our relationship the more I express my love for you."

"You're such a romantic~" Yuu said it in a joking tone, but she truly thought it was adorable. Just a little while ago, Azul would be much too shy to even think of addressing her like this. She was glad to see that he seemed to be getting more and more secure.

They returned to class and began working on their task (it was mostly Yuu watching Azul work his magic). She watched as he stirred the cauldron, his expression scrunched up in concentration.

"You look so pretty, even in a lab coat," Yuu told him in a tone only loud enough for his ears, smiling at the way he pursed his lips and his cheeks reddened.

He glanced up at Yuu from the potion for a brief moment. "And you look stunning as well," he whispered, just as quietly as she did.

"Y'know, you're acting weirdly romantic today."

"Would you like me to stop?"

"Of course not! It's just adorable seeing you acting all flirty, especially during school~"

"Once again, it's only because of your influence." He handed her the stirrer, wordlessly asking her to take over for him as he moved to sort through the ingredients they had left on the counter. "I'm afraid I'll have to remain physically unaffectionate while I'm here, though."

"'Cause you have to keep up your tough-guy act," Yuu said seriously, nodding her head. Azul let out a slight huff of laughter. "In essence, yes. Besides," he paused, moving just next to Yuu's ear, "I like saving my affectionate side for when we're alone."

Yuu felt her cheeks flush crimson as Azul carefully added a few more ingredients to the cauldron, giving her a smirk when they made eye contact.

'Yup, I've definitely been an influence on him."