3 ~ Sacrificed Beauty Sleep

Azul didn't tell anyone about their conversation. Not even the tweels. He kept it to himself, allowing his mind to replay the conversation over and over again.

He stared up at the ceiling, unable to sleep. Every time he thought about her saying "I like you", his face flushed a deep crimson and he found his heart racing. It wasn't likely that he'd get any sleep that night.

His mind drifted back to the first few weeks of their deal. Going from simple classmates to spending quite a few hours of the day together made the beginning extremely awkward and stiff. After all, they'd gone from mere acquaintances to having private swimming lessons together. But soon, as they became more familiar with each other, the awkwardness melted away and they grew comfortable in each other's presence.

Azul had never enjoyed being around someone this much before. Normally, seeing someone like this would irritate him as he would consider it a distraction, but he cherished every second he got to spend with Yuu. He didn't want to let go of their deal because that would mean he wouldn't get to see her very much anymore.

Unfortunately, with the end of the school year drawing close, he doubted their lessons would continue into the next year. Maybe he could convince her to work for the Mostro Lounge? He'd even pay her extra if need be. His feelings aside, she was very good for business, just as he'd predicted.

Though, if they were dating, he wouldn't need to go through all of the extra measures to see her...

He tossed and turned in his bed. 'I could never ask her out. I'd rather die.' Even though he now knew she liked him back, he wouldn't be able to cope with the embarrassment. If something was going to happen between them, she'd have to be the one to initiate it.

Azul pulled a pillow over his head and let out a long groan. 'Maybe she was dared by her friends to confess as a joke...'

He shook his head, trying to physically shake the thought away. He knew it was wrong to doubt her, especially knowing her personality. She joked around a lot and enjoyed flustering him, but she'd never gone so far as to jokingly ask him out.

She was serious, right?

Before he could chicken out, he whipped out his phone and sent a text.

His face turned pink again and he threw his phone to the edge of his bed, burying his face in his pillow

His face turned pink again and he threw his phone to the edge of his bed, burying his face in his pillow. He felt his heart nearly stop when his phone started vibrating, the bright screen showing an adorable selfie Yuu had taken of herself one of the many times she'd stolen his phone that he had set as her contact photo.

She was calling him.

"Hey," she greeted casually.

"Hello..." he answered, trying not to sound too awkward. Now that he thought about it, they had never conversed over the phone before.

"So..." He noticed the way she tried to sound hushed and he realized that she was in a dorm with three other students and in Pomefiore, they all valued their beauty sleep. "Sorry, this is probably a bad time, I'll just hang up-"

"No! Don't," she protested, whisper-yelling. "I'm sure if I'm quiet enough, it'll be fine. Besides, I'm hiding under my blanket."

He let out a chuckle, imagining her curled up underneath her blanket with her phone pressed to her ear. "Are you sure?"

"Totally," she laughed. "Talking to you is always worth it~"

Azul went silent again, and Yuu asked, "Am I being too pushy with my feelings?"

"N-No, you're not... it's nice to hear that you... genuinely... feel the same way about me..." He tugged at the longer strand of his hair that framed his face nervously.

There was silence until Azul took a deep breath and questioned, "May I ask why you have feelings for me?"

"Hmm... you're smart, you're always helping me out, you're nice to me, you're super attractive, like ethereally handsome-" Azul blushed at that compliment, not used to being praised for his appearance. "-I love talking to you, you're a great listener and teacher, that beauty mark on your chin is adorable..."

Azul listened and felt a smile form and his cheeks warm as she continued to go on and on. He had never felt appreciated like this before, and the way she listed every minuscule detail about him made him feel like he was being scrutinized like a test subject, but... in a good way.

"You still there? Sorry, I rambled for a bit," Yuu laughed, the sound music to Azul's ears. He replied with his own chuckle, "I'm here."

She let out a hum. "What are you doing up, anyway?"

"I suppose I was just having trouble falling asleep," he answered, suppressing a yawn. "Though, I think I'm alright now."

"Shall I leave you to it, then?"

"...Would you mind staying on the phone with me a bit longer?"

"Sure, but you have to give me a good reason~!" She responded almost tauntingly. He stiffened and she added on, "I mean, confessions are super embarrassing, and I confessed, so I want something in return."

He put the back of his hand to his mouth, willing the pinkness in his cheeks to go away. "I... I just want to hear the sound of your voice."

"How romantic~"

"Is that a good enough reason?" he grumbled embarrassedly, clutching the phone tightly.

"Yeah, that's good enough for the time being. Why don't we make it a competition of who can stay up the longest~?"