[1] Unwanted.

"Every single minute matters, every single child matters, every single childhood matters."

 – Kailash Satyathi

3rd Person's POV

"What do you think of having another sibling?" The older woman asked the two who were seated at the dining table.

"What? Are you pregnant?!" Asked one of them.

"No. I'm not. But I uh. I have plans to adopt one." Said the older woman.

"Really?!" Exclaimed the older of the two.

The older woman handed the two a picture of a younger girl seated on a swing with a dimple smile.

"Awh. She's precious. Who would abandon a child like that?" Asked one of them.

"Omma. When will she be part of our family? I already can't wait to meet her and be a good older sister. Even if it means having a 15 year age gap." Said the older of the two.

"If you both are okay with me adopting her, then I'll get the documents done as soon as I can." Said the older woman.

Nadine's POV

I heard the sound of the curtains being drawn and I knew it was the start of a new day. I slowly opened my eyes and woke up to a familiar sight.

As soon as I got up, so did all my brothers and sisters.

"Rise and shine everyone." announced Ms Grace.

All of us are up now, and making our way to the restroom where Ms Louisa and Ms Alicia are waiting to help us wash up.

As per usual, our breakfast has been set up on the table and we are all gathered to eat together. For today's menu, we have honey stars with milk. 

Our mornings usually start with us getting some time to play which I enjoy the most.

If you're wondering, I'm Nadine and I'm 4 years old this year. I love being around my brothers and sisters. In my house, there are around 20 kids. Some are my age; some are younger and some slightly older. Some days we get new brothers or sisters joining my family but there are days when we have to bid farewell to some of the kids.

Today, another bunch of strangers are gathered by the glass door looking at us. Every time that happens, it means sooner or later one of us will be missing. It's scary and I hate it when these people come. 

Ms Grace says that it's a good thing if there are people here. She doesn't explain why but I don't agree with her. Why would it be a good thing if they take my brother or sister away from me? I'm okay with being here. I don't want to be anywhere else.

While I was playing, Ms Alicia came over to me and started taking pictures. Lately, the adults have been around me a lot. I found it weird whenever they do that but it's a familiar pattern I noticed. Whenever they take pictures of you, it's highly likely you're the next kid to go missing. Hence, I always avoid them whenever I could.

Ms Alicia's POV

After music lesson, I needed to take Nadine to the other room for a video call. She has no idea what's going on so I just handed her some toys to play and instructed her to sit while waiting.

I took out my phone and was unknowingly smiling waiting for the other person on the other line to pick up the phone call.

It didn't take long before the person picked up the phone. I guess Nadine's a little curious as she has been peeking to see who I was talking to. I went over and faced the phone in Nadine's direction.

"Say hello." I instructed.

"Hello."

"Awh. Hello sweetheart." The person said with a sweet smile.

The person tried to start conversations with Nadine before finally introducing herself as 'Omma'.

"Omma?" Nadine repeated those words.

Nadine's POV

I looked back at Ms Alicia before looking back at the lady on the phone.

I don't get it. Why would she name herself 'Omma'. It sounds like an odd name.

While we drifted off from that topic, she kept asking me a lot of questions like what my favourite food is and what kind of toys I like.

I realised she sounded different from us. Like from a different country. I was interested in her voice, so I kept looking back and forth.

Omma's POV

10 June 2016 was the first time I met Nadine. I was in Singapore for a work trip when my colleague and I got lost. We went to a nearby building and while my colleague asked for directions, I happened to look at the window and that was when I laid my eyes on the most prettiest, adorable and precious looking girl.

"That's Nadine." Said one of the staff working there.

"Sh-e she makes my heart flutter." I said while my eyes still filled with so much love.

I looked around and saw the sign of the building.

"She's been here for 3 years now." Continued the staff.

Just you wait Nadine, I'll come back for you. I promise.

A year and a half later and I finally got all my documents settled. It was one hell of a journey but with my family member's support, we finally made it. I've made a request that it's Nadine whom I want and so the first video call meeting was set up.

My heart's beating fast. I can't believe I finally will get to see her. It's been so long since I last say her. Now, I get to meet her again. Not in real life but at least through this video call. It's better than nothing.

As soon as I saw that beautiful, precious looking face, I melted once again. What a sweet child.

My heart literally skipped a beat when I heard her repeat me when I introduced myself as 'Omma'.

My soon to be daughter called me 'Omma'...

Wait for me Nadine. My family and I are coming for you. Just wait a while and you will have a forever home.

3rd Person's POV

"Unnie! You're back home! I missed you!" Squealed the younger girl as she dashed towards the door.

The younger girl jumped on the older girl, giving her a big hug.

"Aww, I missed you too!" The older girl replied.

"You're back? I missed you too." Another voice in the back could be heard.

A/N: Hello! Sorry if the intro is too long or boring but I'm trying to build the story line. I can't make promises but the later chapters will hopefully get better!