[4] Gotcha Day

"Parenthood requires love, not DNA"

Chaeyoung's POV

I watched as Nadine played around the toys. I wondered if she knows what's going on. I held on to her hand and made our way to another room.

The room was filled with all the other kids and so was Ms Louisa and Ms Grace. I directed Nadine to the chair where a cake was placed right in front of her. I guess Nadine must have been hungry because I was able to grab hold of her right before she attacked the cake.

The candles were lit up and the whole room started singing. The tune of the song was familiar, but the words weren't.

Happy Gotcha Day to you.

Happy Gotcha Day to Nadine.

Happy Gotcha Day to you.

Nadine's POV

I didn't know what it meant but I was just excited to blow out the candle. My brothers and sisters came over beside me and smiled for the pictures.

As all my brothers and sisters left for their nap time, I on the other hand was still in the room with Omma, Appa, Chaeyoung unnie and Ms Grace. Chaeyoung unnie and I are seated on the floor playing with the toys that they brought for me while Omma and Appa were seated by the table along with Ms Grace.

On the table, there were a lot of papers. They were busy discussing a lot of things to which I don't understand any of it, but I carried on playing with Chaeyoung unnie anyway.

"Chaemin. Come here." Instructed Ms Grace.

I had no idea what was going on, but I went over and sat on Omma's lap. Ms Grace took my hand and squished it on some red paint. I hated it and tried to break my hands free, but Ms Grace's grip was much tighter than expected. She then pressed my hand down on a piece of paper before lifting my hand up.

Before I could even start crying because of how irritated I was to see how red my hands were, Omma was already ready to wipe my hands.

Ms Grace then began to compile all of the papers and I watched as her facial expression changed. It seemed like a forced smile but at the same time it didn't seem like it. I could already feel my heart beating very fast, and I have a feeling I know why.

I think it's actually happening.

With Omma, Appa, Chaeyoung unnie and myself standing together, Ms Grace said her final words while putting her hands out for a handshake.

"Well, this is it. Congratulations Mr Son and Ms Son. Nadine or the now Son Chaemin is officially part of the Son family. May all of you stay happy as a family and bring joy to Nadine. The Singapore Children's Home wishes you and your family our sincere congratulations and hope that you will treat Nadine as your own. And to Nadine, we wish you all the best love. Your life will be so so much better now. I hope you'll grow to love your family as much as we love you. Take care love."

I may not understand every single word Ms Grace was saying but seeing how everyone is tearing up in the room is enough for me to know that it's happening. I'm saying goodbye to my family of 4 years here in Singapore and moving with my forever family in Korea.

My heart sunk as I watched everyone cry. I now understand that it wasn't my birthday but instead it was my 'gotcha day'.

The day my forever family takes me in to be a part of theirs.

Chaeyoung unnie helped me put on my day backpack while Appa took my luggage that Ms Alicia had packed all of my belongings in. 

It was weird honestly, I couldn't really comprehend the emotions that was going in inside but all I know was that the moment Ms Alicia, Ms Louisa, and Ms Grace gave me a big hug and started saying words like, 'I'll miss you' and 'Take care', I was not exactly having it and started bawling.

I refused to let go of them, I refused to let go of the memories I created while I was here. This was where I lived for the past 4 years, the place I had all my 'firsts', the place where I grew up. I wasn't ready to let that go. It felt too rushed.

But in this world, I don't have a choice. Omma tried to pull me away from Ms Grace as it was time to go. I screamed even louder, and I think for the first time, I felt what it was like to be in pain. To be separated from the people I love. I don't think I could ever bear to feel this pain again.

I wasn't the only one whose eyes were filled with tears. While Omma and Appa tried to comfort me, I looked around one last time with my eyes filled with tears and watched as the door of my home closed and my home getting further and further away.

This is it.

Goodbye my brothers and sisters.

Till we meet again sometime.

3rd Person's POV

"Hey, what's wrong?" The older girl asked the younger one.

"Um, it's nothing. Just missing a few people." The younger girl replied.

The older one hugged the younger, comforting her.