chip n dales confession

Chip walked down the steps on the front porch into the clear morning air. "Ahh, feel that, Dale? Wonderful. A perfect day for a walk." Dale lingered behind, portable coffee cup in hand. "Is it? Ughh, too bad we have to spend it at the freakin office. Maybe we can open a window or something..." They walked to their office farther in the city, to their little detective agency that had just gotten a murder case yesterday. "Dale, you know we have to focus. We have serious work to do now. It's not like we're sniffing out a mafia gang or drug cartel, but a dead body is a dead body." They turned the corner and arrived at their office. Once inside, they began to study the evidence. All they knew so far was that a fresh corpse had been found in an alley with several bullet wounds, and an empty bloodstained wallet nearby. Any tests done had been a failure, as it seemed like any blood was from the victim. They manage to find out who he was, though. The day was spent talking to his friends and family, finding out his daily patterns, who he knew, and if he might have anyone who would want to do this to him. When the day was up they decided to get dinner at a fancy sushi place. It was atmospheric, with patrons talking and laughing over their dinner. Chip tried as many things as he could, and found out that he really liked the taste and texture of seaweed salad. Dale just got anything that didn't look too exotic. When they were done and the bill was paid, they walked back to their house through the brightly lit city lights. Dale seemed lost in thought and dragged his feet a little as he walked. Chip spoke softly, "Hey, what's eating you? Usually you'd be chatting up a storm. I guess that was a filling dinner, huh?" He looked over at Dale playfully, but didn't get much in way of response. "Yeah." Chip stopped. "Hey." Dale looked back at his friend. "Y-yeah? Chip, really it's...fine." Chip walked over to his friend and took his hand in his own. "Something's on your mind. What's wrong? And don't lie and tell me it's nothing. I know you." Dale felt his hand get a little squeeze from Chip and got butterflies in his stomach, his tail wagging quickly to and fro. His face growing warm, all he could seem to do was stammer. "I... it's just... this is nice, y'know. Our own life. Together. Back when... back when I tried to do Double '00 Dale, I only did it to hear you say that you wanted to stay together... no matter what that meant to you. And now we are together. And it's great." Dale paused and looked down at the ground. Chip cupped his friend's chin in his hand and brought his gaze to his own. "But?" They stared at each other for a moment. "But... it's not really everything I'd hoped. I wanted something like...like... I don't know, something more. You'd think I was being weird... sorry, I'm sorry, I'll stop..." But when he really looked at Chip's face, he saw understanding. "No... Dale, I wanted that too. You had no idea how heartbroken I was when you went off to do your own show. But... things were different then. We couldn't have had anything. And I don't know if this is what you're saying, but... what I'm saying is that I still do and have always had these feelings for you, Dale. Honestly, I'm disappointed in myself for never speaking up. I guess the biggest risk really was taking no risk at all. Heh." They stood there like that, gazing into each other's eyes, and thinking about times past, hoping and wondering if they could make up for it now. "Chip... I am. I am saying that. Have we really both felt like this the whole time? God, we're idiots, aren't we." He laughed through tears. "Hey, speak for yourself." But the joke was delivered lightly, as if he had something else on his mind. He leaned in a little. The neon signs flashed in the background like a colorful backdrop on the world's most extravagant play. Their lips met, and they began to lightly brush against each other, oh so gently. A fire stirred in Chip's belly, while butterflies flittered in Dale's. They stood in their delicate kiss, then finally pulled away. Dale spoke first. "Let's get married."