18 - I'm ready to sign.

CW: N/A

Clinically white walls and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the skyscrapers of the city's skyline

Clinically white walls and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the skyscrapers of the city's skyline... The conference room was so pristine that Cassandra wondered if the cleaning personnel were on an hourly schedule instead of a daily one.

She rested her elbows on the table and listened to the small talk of the woman in front of her, apparently the managing director. The table was so cold it felt like metal. It was also white, and reflective, but not in a metallic sort of way. What materials did they use over here? It was so starkly different from Berlin.

"With that in mind," Li Hua spoke with a formal smile decorating her face. "We'd like to update our initial offer."

Cass nodded politely as the director slid a few pieces of paper, stapled in one corner, over to her. She lifted her fingertips off the offer letter when she'd perfectly aligned it in front of Cassandra.

Cass skimmed through the letter, all 5 pages of it detailing compensation, signing bonuses, relocation packages, and management structure

Cass skimmed through the letter, all 5 pages of it detailing compensation, signing bonuses, relocation packages, and management structure. There were 2 levels of management above her – Li Hua, the C-Suite, and Satya Nadella herself. She'd never in a million years dreamed of being in such a position, especially not after the shitshow she was in the process of handing over to Rapido these days. 

Sure, it wasn't exactly a public ordeal yet, but she'd imagine that a company like Microsoft knew everything about everything. And especially about the people they hired into their senior management.

She still hadn't signed anything, so all she knew was that they were planning to launch new software in 5 years and she'd be leading the development. Wow. 

"Fuck" wasn't a strong enough word to describe the feeling of sitting in this board room, surrounded by white walls and people who wiped their asses with 100-dollar bills. 

Yeah, dollars. That was also new. She'd be lying if she said she hadn't had to Google the currency conversion about 15 times in the last week alone.

"This is higher than your previous offer," Cass observed. 

"Yes," Li Hua smiled. The other woman in the room hadn't said a word other than her name when Cass'd first walked in. She shook her hand and took to stoically sitting 2 seats to the right of Li Hua. "I'll be transparent, it's because we'd like to ask you to relocate."