Chapter 20 - Unexpected Solution

"Y/n- about yesterday," Childe started as the both of you walked throughout Sumeru.

This piqued your interest slightly, "Yeah?"

"I'm sorry, this'll take me a bit to say." He sighs and looks down to the ground, he clearly wasn't in the best mood right now. You wondered why whatever he had to say was so important, even though it was obvious.

"That's fine, take your time." You just wanted to know what he had to say, even if it would take a while.

"Look I- you know what? I think it would've been better if I never brought this up." He seemed irritated with himself, and you were so curious of what was going on in his mind.

"No please tell me, I promise I won't laugh or anything." You gave him a reassuring smile.

"It's not about that, I don't care if you laugh or not. It's more about me ruining our friendship." He admitted to you, giving you a clue of what he originally had planned to say.

"What do you mean?" You needed clarification, to correct your suspicions or to confirm them. But, no matter how hard you tried, he just wouldn't tell you. After a few more minutes of awkward silence until you spotted him.

"How much longer do we have to walk? We're practically already in the desert-" Childe complained until he also saw the 6th harbinger. The both of you hid behind a rock.

"How are we even supposed to approach him?" You whispered to Childe as if he knew what to do.

"We go up to him? What else would we do?

"Yeah we go up to him and say 'Hey we're going to steal the Electro Gnosis from you, bye!' Are you stupid!?" You yelled at him whilst still whispering.

"We ambush him then, it's the only opinion we have." He shrugged while you peaked slightly over the rock to see if he was still there.

"He's going into the cave, we have no choice but to follow him." You turned your attention back to Childe, but he was far gone already going to attack. You quietly ran over to Childe and held him back so the two of you wouldn't get caught.

"It seems like I've got company, doesn't it?" Your eyes widened as Scaramouche stared directly into your soul.

Shit.

You couldn't panic now, it was far too late to turn back on this now. Your eyes met Childe's, hoping he knew what to do. But instead he signaled for you to get closer to Scaramouche, which seemed like a horrible idea at the time. You swiftly took out your weapon and aimed it at him, almost as a warning.

"I need to get the Electro Gnosis back." You stated, this was a terrible idea but you'd do anything to quit the Fatui. Anything.

"Oh? You think I'll just hand it over like that? How foolish of you to think that." He laughs to himself, you knew this wouldn't be an easy fight

"I'll do anything to get it back, even if I have to sacrifice that ginger over there." Childe quickly turned his head to you, his eyes widened. "Joking of course." You could see him sigh in relief from the corner of your eye

"You'd do anything to make your life better, but what about the others around you? Do they even matter to you?"

"What?" You didn't know what to say at that moment, then he lunged at you whilst you were distracted.

'Dammit.' You internally cussed at yourself, you shouldn't have let your guard down. You didn't know he knew how to fight with a sword, this would make the fight harder, as if it wasn't already.

"What? Not strong enough to defeat me?" That same evil smile appeared on his face, you hated it. You saw Childe inch closer to Scaramouche, eyeing the Electro Gnosis near him. You caught onto this quickly.

"You really think you're stronger than me? You just caught me off guard." You smirked, trying to distract him.

"I knew you were stupid, but not this stupid." You saw Childe snact the Electro Gnosis and run past you, you knew it was time for you to run as well.

"I have to go now, nice meeting you." You quickly got up and ran, catching up to Childe.

Scaramouche noticed what Childe had in his hands and realised what had happened. He surprisingly caught up to the both of you.

"Not so fast." Scaramouche aimed towards Childe now. He threw the Electro Gnosis to you which then you put into your bag still running. He unfortunately also got attacked by Scaramouche and got thrown down as well.

You stopped in your tracks, you thought about running away without Childe but it didn't seem like the right thing to do. His facial expression told you to go on without him, but you had to do something.

"Look, it's your mom!" You said pointing behind Scaramouche With a surprised look on your face, whilst he turned around you helped Childe and began running again, luckily the both of you hid behind a safe place until it was safe to continue.

"I didn't think that would work." You whispered to Childe as the both of you caught your breath

"Neither did I, let's be grateful it did work though." He smiled at you.

"You're right, we should leave before he finds us again." You sighed and continued running somewhere far away from wherever Scaramouche was.

A/N: Sorry this is a short chapter but I was so busy today and started this at 2 am, but another chapter after 3 days so good enough yknow anyway besides all of that I've recently been playing Fire Emblem (three houses) Kind of In love with Dimitri ngl 💀