𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟑

────── ♤♤♤ ──────

────── ♤♤♤ ──────

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟑
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒' 𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄

────── ♤♤♤ ──────

After following the piece of the Red Queen's cloak through the forest, the heroes found themselves hiding in the bushes that surrounded a clearing. Despite none of them wanting to admit it, all of them were shocked by the scene playing out in front of them. In the center of the field, Anastasia was tied to a wooden pole and surrounded by villagers from a nearby town. All of them were shouting at their former queen while waving torches and pitchforks around in the air. It wasn't long before the crowd shouted in agreement in response to something one of their allies said, making chills run up and down Indigo's spine.

"We can't just leave her there," Kaden said just loud enough for his companions to hear without giving their position away.

"We don't even know what they're planning, though I grant it's not looking good," Alice responded right as the crowd in the distance shouted in unison once again. It wasn't long after that when she finally noticed all three of her allies staring at her with disbelief in their eyes. "If we were the ones tied to stakes, do you think she'd lift a finger to help us?"

"Well, you're right. She probably wouldn't," Indigo declared before turning her attention back to the crowd gathered in the center of the field, "but we're a lot better than her."

"Alright, we'll save her," the Kingsleigh woman gave in without even trying to hide the annoyance in her voice.

After coming up with a somewhat decent plan, Indigo stayed behind as their backup, knowing her magic would come in handy if things didn't go as planned. Everything within her told her to join her friends as she watched them enter the clearing and walk toward the villagers. Despite this, the Lark girl stayed in her place and silently hoped she wouldn't need to make herself known.

At first, Indigo couldn't hear anything that was going on in front of her, which was driving her even more insane. It wasn't until she remembered a spell one of her guards taught her back in Atlantis that a smile formed on her face. After letting out a long sigh, Indigo muttered the incantation under her breath. As soon as she was finished, her ability to hear doubled, allowing her to be part of what was going on in the field across from her.

"Think about what you're doing," Anastasia told the crowd in front of her, all of them unaware of the three people coming out of the forest and walking toward them, "feed me to these creatures tonight, tomorrow you will be no better off than you are today. But you hold me ransom and the reward that I'll fetch will fill your bellies for years to come. I'm worth more alive than I am dead."