ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ - 𝚃𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝙰𝚗𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

"So you're jus' gonna leave?" Daryls mumbles carried through the hallway and into my small bedroom, causing me to sit up in my bed

"So you're jus' gonna leave?" Daryls mumbles carried through the hallway and into my small bedroom, causing me to sit up in my bed. "No goodbye, no sorry, no fuck you, no nothin'?"

"Why're you bein' such a pussy 'bout this?" Merle slurred. My heart dropped. He was leaving? But he just came back.

"You don't even remember, do you?" Daryl scoffed. I crept out of my bed to peak around the corner, and when I saw no one there, I tiptoed further out.

"Remember what?" Merle snapped. I hesitated before making my next step, he sounded angry.

Daryl scoffed. "Forget it, man. Go on. She don't need you there no way." I took a few steps back as I heard him walking toward the hallway.

"Now hang on jus' a fuckin' minute!" Me and Daryl both stopped. "The hell're you talkin' about?" He shouted.

My brother made a loud, angry shushing noise. "You're gonna wake 'er up!"

"Then stop bein' a little bitch and tell me what the hell you're so pissy 'bout me leavin' for!"

"Ellie's birthday." There was a long silence before he continued again. "You already missed the last two. Y'can't wait a day for this one?"

I held my breath, straining my ears to hear what Merle was gonna say. Instead of the words I wanted to hear, I heard a sigh and a scoff.

"Man, you know this ain't 'bout her."

"It never is, it's always 'bout you, ain't it?"

The tears began to collect in my eyes as I stared at the bare wall ahead of me. Daddy left last week, said he'd be back in a couple days, but he never did, and I knew better than to get my hopes up. It was very rare that he remembered my birthday, but Merle? He always sent a birthday card even if he wasn't home. He never forgot.

"It ain't like that I just—" he was getting more and more frustrated. "I just got shit to take care of, alright?"

I could feel the tears dragging down my face. I kept telling them to stop, because I knew that tears don't change anything, they never changed anyone's mind about leaving, but my heart was telling them otherwise. With each angry whisper, my heart broke a little more. Merle was leaving and there was nothing I could do about it.

By the time I realized that I'd been standing there too long, the front door slammed, and Daryl was speed walking down the hallway. When he saw my tear stained cheeks, puffy eyes, and quivering lip, he paused, not knowing what to do.

"You're s'posed to be asleep." He mumbled, the guilt nearly swallowing his voice whole.

My hand reached up and quickly wiped away the tears. Even though it was a little late for that, I still did it. I sniffled as I shrugged, "I couldn't."