ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ- 𝚂𝚝𝚊𝚢 𝙲𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚎

Ellie's POV

"C'mon, we're here." Daryl said after nudging me awake. My eyes opened and I looked around. The caravan had stopped, and I saw a building surrounded by dead bodies and abandoned military things.

As soon as I opened my door, the smell of the dead bodies wafted into my noes and I couldn't help but gag.

"Oh lord.." I mumbled as I tried not to think of the disgusting smell that flowed through the air.

The closer we got the worse the smell got. We wrapped our arms over our noses at an attempt to keep the smell at bay, but it wasn't working. Coughs were heard from around the group but I tried not to even breathe as we passed through the dead bodies.

There were hundreds of flies everywhere, and the sound of them buzzing around made my stomach turn. I tried not to look at the bodies, because then I'd catch sight of maggots and rotting flesh. It was absolutely disgusting.

"Keep moving, stay together, come on." Rick spoke quietly as we made our way to the entrance of the CDC.

I was starting to doubt coming here, but I prayed someone was inside, someone who could help.

My knife was held up just in case one of these bodies decided that they weren't dead. The closer we got, the more abandoned the building looked, like all of the bodies littering the front yard was all that was left.

Disgusted and worried whispers came from the group as we got closer to the building. It was rather large and looked pretty damn fancy.

"Keep it together, come on." Shane whispered in a restrained voice as he tried not to breathe in the horrible stench.

My pace got quicker as we approached the building. Ready to be as far away from the rotting bodies as possible. Some had their brains plastered on the concrete and I nearly gagged at the sight.

As soon as we reached the door Rick went to press a button while Shane knocked on the metal that guarded the entrance. There was no sign of anything living inside or outside besides us, and if that were the case, then we were fucked.

"There's nobody here." T-dog concluded when there was nothing to indicate that anyone other than us were here.

"Then why are these shutters down?" Rick argued, clearly trying to keep his cool.

I stood between Daryl and Glenn, fidgeting nervously with my knifes handle. This couldn't be it. The sun was setting, and we couldn't be this close to the city come nightfall. Walkers could be roaming the place, hell they could be on their way right now and we'd be stuck.

Daryl turned to me, his eyes silently assuring me that everything was fine, but not even a second later his eyes turned to something behind me, an annoyed scowl making its way onto his face.

"Walkers!" My brother yelled as he tugged me behind him by my arm.  He brought his crossbow up while I did the same with my knife, ready to take on the flesh eating corpses.

A scared whimper came from Sophia and my eyes immediately darted towards her. She wasn't even necessarily close to me, and it made me feel worse. Carol held onto her tightly, and Lori did the same with Carl. Both kids seemed to be trembling with fear and I knew I'd have to step up to protect them despite Daryl's wishes for me to be selfish rather than selfless.

The sound of a bolt being released from Daryl's crossbow sounded and the walker went down. My brother had had enough of this. We were sitting ducks, and I already told myself that I'd stand with him no matter what, so if he left, I left. I'd probably drag Sophia with me, and beg the group to come, but I'd still follow my blood.