Untitled Part 2

Cora glanced at the card Robert gave to Papa even after that woman's exclamation. She later found out she was his mother. "Would he really go against her wishes? She sighed. He seemed like a nice man and he had made her laugh. Martha paced back and forth in the drawing room. "I cannot believe that woman! The nerve of her!"

Patrick sighed. " Have you spoken to Cora?" He asked.

"I have not. I am too angry and I know she seemed to like that woman's son so I don't want to upset her!"

Isidor raised an eyebrow. "I am glad you realized that. Your selfishness got us into this mess. If you had just allowed Cora to marry that nice young man she met in Newport there wouldn't have been any humiliation."

""He may have been nice, but she would not have been accepted into society when she married him! Not the brother of a prostitute, Isidor! You know that!"

Cora doesn't seem to care about all that! She's doing this for you! She will give you what you want, a daughter with a title by marriage so you can live happily in New York while she is alone an ocean away."

Cora had made her way down to the parlor. She was hungry and wanted to speak to her parents. She heard their entire conversation, stopping in the hallway she stood in her stocking feet, trying to get the nerve . " Excuse me, Mother?"

Martha stepped into the hall. "Yes, my dear?

"May I speak to you?"

"Please come in," she said.

Cora did so and sat on the setee. "I hope I didn't disgrace you, Mother. My friend just introduced me to her brother and he was really nice and the only one to ask me to dance."

"Oh no, dear. You didn't disgrace me! Tell me about that man you were dancing with."

She sighed. "I doubt anything will come of it, Not if his mother has anything to say about it. You heard her. She doesn't want a daughter in law who wants a title. She probably wants someone who can be a countess and love her son. If I can't even court him, that won't be possible, will it? He was very nice and I cannot do that to him."

Isidor was proud of Cora. She seemed to understand the situation better than Martha. She didn't want to use this man because of his title.

++++++

 Cora was nervous about going to the Garden party after Lady Grantham's outburst during the ball. Lady Norrington didn't take back the invitation per Lady Joanna, who said it would be rude. Cora made her way to greet her hostess, Papa beside her. Martha decided to remain home for the evening. Both Cora and Isidor were grateful. Papa said he wanted to speak with Mr. Crawley and perhaps his father as well. As the night continued and it got later she wondered it Robert was even going to come at all. She was very disappointed as she made her way to get a glass of lemonade. 

"Miss, you do realize a glass of wine tastes better than lemonade?' She looked up at the man who addressed her. Cora never had a drop of alcohol in her life. Not even a taste of her father's wine. 

"That's alright, thank you, though," she replied, walking towards the fountain. Unfortunately this man was not satisfied by her answer and he knocked the lemonade from her hand. 

 "Excuse me!" she said, turning to face him. "Her smirked at her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and leaning her back. one hand forced her mouth opened and he poured wine into her mouth. Cora began to choke on it and spit out the bitter drink, all over the man's white shirt which angered him.

"Get away from her!" Cora heard someone say. She dropped to the ground, feeling a twinge of pain in her wrist as she tried to catch her breath, sobbing. She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"You're ok," a familiar voice said. She looked up to see. "Mr. Crawley?"

He smiled at her reassuringly, allowing her to rest against him. She felt her face blush in embarrassment or was it from the wine she'd been given? Cora didn't know. Right now she felt in a queer way, her stomach felt ready to expel what little was in there and she felt dizzy. "Just relax," Robert said, rubbing her arm.

"Is this what it's like to drink?" She asked. 

He smiled, "you never had a drink?"

Squeezing her eyes shut at the pounding in her head, she replied, "No, not even when my father asked if I wanted a sip of his. Goodness I feel wretched! I should find my father, he'll be worried."

"Would you allow me to help you? Perhaps you'd like to get some air or refresh yourself?"

She nodded. "That's very nice of you, thank you, Mr. Crawley." He stood offering his hand to help her up. "Please call me Robert."

"Only if you call me Cora," she replied.

+++++

Cora held onto Robert's arm as he escorted her to the washroom. She felt safe and warm in his arms and cold once they separated. she plashed some cold water on her face and took several deep breaths, clutching the basin. She heard snickering behind her and turned to see several women from her presentation laughing and pointing at her. She stood tall and said. "May I help you with something?" she asked.

"Oh, no, but perhaps we can show you how to be more English? I doubt there's any Englishman who would be even remotely interested in you! That man you were dancing with is only paying attention to you for your money! He doesn't believe in love, he only wants money and lust. You're just a child in his eyes!"

The girl grabbed Cora's shawl and ripped it from her shoulders then yanked the Skirt of her dress, laughing. The other threw her entire glass of wine on her and they left.

++++

Robert frowned when Lady Helena and Lady Gareth ran out of the washroom laughing and Cora still hadn't come out. Helena went up to him, grabbed him by his lapel, planting a kiss on his lips. He heard a gasp, pushed Helena away and saw Cora looking at him, tears pooling in her eyes. The poor girl was a mess, dress torn and stained, shivering in the cold night air as her shawl was gone, her coiffure had been pulled from its pins and hanging loose on her shoulders. He cautiously stepped up to her. But she cowered. "Robert, is what they said true?" She asked.

"Is what true, Cora?" he asked.

"You're only interested in me for my family's money?"

he looked at her in shock. "What? heavens no! I love you, Cora! I cannot stop thinking about you. I don't care what my mother says or believes, what anyone says! You are my choice!"

She smiled but wasn't so certain. "How can that be, Robert? We barely know each other and we're from two different worlds. He took her hands in his and she felt warm. "Please allow me to show you what you mean to me? Perhaps dinner soon?" She looked up at him and nodded. She may not love him yet but perhaps she could. He was a very kind man and he loved her despite convention.