Untitled Part 7

Robert waited for the stable boy to bring his horse out while Cora went with Mr. Richard to help her choose a horse. "There are Several new horses that we brought in for you to choose from, Lady Cora. What sort of riding level are you? Level four," she replied. He nodded. "You can trot and canter milady?" "I can. "What about jumping?" I"I have jumped hedges, creeks, walls, as well as fences. Mr. Richard was clearly impressed but also grateful he wouldn't have to teach a woman with no knowledge about their hunts. Master Robert would do well with her. She heard a horse whinny and glanced at it. He was behind her and started to nudge her in the back. She giggled and rubbed his snout. "Why, hello there," she said with a smile. "I'm certain he will do, Mr. Richard.'

"I don't know, Milady. He's thrown off three stable boys and they all ended up with a broken leg. She shook her head. "I'm certain we'll be just fine. Does he have a name?" "He does not. Lord Grantham chose not to name him because he needs to go back to his breeder for more training. Cora looked into the horse's eye and it felt as though it was pleading her to ride him. "I shall saddle and ride him with the full knowledge of what you told me. i have a feeling about this horse." He gave in. "Very well, but I must speak with Lord Grantham first. If you could wait outside." She nodded and joined Robert who was seated on his horse. "Find a horse, Cor?"

"Yes, but Mr. Richard has to speak with Lord Grantham."

"Whatever for...?" He trailed off when he saw the look in her eye. "Oh no, you cannot ride that wild horse! He's dangerous."

"I'll be fine, Robert. I can handle a wild horse." Just then Richard appeared with the horse, saddled and ready for it's new rider." Robert watched as Cora pet and spoke softly to the animal, even explaining to it what she intended to do. It looked like the creature seemed to understand her. To Robert and Mr. Richard's astonishment, Cora quickly mounted the horse, even side saddle, grinning at Robert. "What?' she asked. "Have you never seen someone get on a horse. "Of course I have!" he sputtered. " I mean, I didn't think you were serious. She laughed. "Goodness, darling. I would never get on a horse if I didn't know what I was doing!"

And knew what she was doing was an understatement. Robert watched her as she galloped with ease. She had the perfect posture and no doubt the other Earls would be jealous that he had such a beautiful wife who hunted with him.

+++

Patrick glanced at Isidor as they watched their son and daughter ride off. "You truly have an amazing daughter, Isidor. I would like to humbly apologize for any heartache my wife had caused earlier in the season. Isidor waved his hand. "My wife hasn't been very kind herself. Honestly, I am extremely grateful she has found someone who loves her. It makes leaving her in a foreign country so much easier. I was hesitant this should work. My wife is obsessed with position and she heard this was an easy way to get one in New York, but I think it terribly conceited and to make ones daughter face a future without their family in an unfamiliar culture seems quite harsh. Cora seems to have taken it in her stride and I am proud of her. I think she'll do well here."

Patrick nodded. "As do I, Isidor. As do I."

+++++

Robert looked over at Cora the cool breeze left a very pretty rose on her cheeks. She was laughing happily and he felt bad for ever doubting her abilities. She smiled then chuckled at his gaze. "Are you alright? I think I'm ready to go inside, I'm chilled."

"Lets go then, What are you going to name your horse."

"My horse?" she asked happily.

"Yes, silly woman! Your horse! You're the first to ride him without being thrown off. He's yours!"

"Oakley ." She saw his confusion. "After Annie Oakley. She was a sharpshooter in Buffalo Bill's Wild west show."

Robert nodded having read about the wild west show in the paper nearly 20 years ago