Untitled Part 6

Cora never realized how different a wedding was in England compared to America. More precisely for someone joining an Viscount's family. She wasn't allowed to see him before the wedding as according to the English, it was bad luck. So She would stay at Downton the night before where a carriage will pick her up and take her through the village in a sort of procession so the villagers can greet and see her. Robert would be staying at Crawley house and they would meet at the church. After meeting with Lord Grantham and Rosamund the other day Cora was shown the ins and outs of being a Countess. It didn't seem as hard as she thought. She knew about running a house from her Mother and her father taught her of accounts and business as well. Cora's reservations about being the countess of Grantham gradually began to fade. She hoped she would do her new husband proud. Patrick joined them. "Ladies, how about more tea? And my dear Cora, Your eye is healing nicely. I never did care for the Duke of Winchester, he's always been such a bully much to his father's chagrin.

"It feels better, thank you. It doesn't ache as much."

Cora sipped her tea quietly. The planning was getting to her. there was so much to consider. Martha sat beside her. "You're quiet, my dear. Are you alright? I know you told Lord Grantham your eye wasn't bothering you but I can tell you have a headache, don't you?' Why don't you and Robert go for a walk, clear your heads for a few hours. Rosamund and I can deal with the last few items on the list." Cora nodded. "No English Daisies please. Their smell gives me a headache," She said before walking over to Robert. He nodded at her request and taking her arm, the couple went out for a stroll.

+++

Cora happily hung onto Robert's arm as he pointed to his favorite sites in the area. "I thought I was going to meet Rosamund's husband today." she said.

"He'll come to Downton at the end of the week for a hunt. Are you sure you still want try an English hunt? It can be very dangerous for those who never have."

"I thought you could take me to where you ride so I can get a sense of the terrain better first." 

He looked at her grinning. "If I had known you liked to ride so much, I would have taken you ages ago!"

"My aunt helped run the Kentucky Derby.   It's not too far from Cincinnati. My cousin, Joshua was a rider. He won several Derbies and he taught me how to ride."

"Then I shall look forward to seeing you impress the pants off me," Robert said without thinking. 

Cora giggled, blushing. "Robert!" she said, lightly slapping his arm.

He laughed, blushing as well. "I do apologize."

++++++

Cora stood in front of the full length mirror, brushing the skirt of her riding habit. It's been years since she last wore one but this one was fancier. Her mother decided it shoulder be flashier despite Cora's protests that it had rained the day before so the dress wouldn't be very pristine after. She didn't want to look a fool in Robert's eyes. She wanted him to know that she understood horseback riding could be a messy affair.  She glanced at the housekeeper who was helping as her Ladies Maid while she visited. An application had been sent in for her to get a permanent maid. Mrs. Hughes was a very kind and understanding woman, making Cora feel completely at ease.

 Hughes was a very kind and understanding woman, making Cora feel completely at ease

Robert waited patiently in the library for Cora. He was excited and a bit nervous to take his fiancée out, worried that maybe she may not ride as well as she claimed. The terrain here was so much different per Martha although Isidor seemed to think she'd be fine. Cora entered, a big grin of excitement on her face, blushing at how handsome Robert looked in his riding clothes. The pants seemed to fit him perfectly and she couldn't help that she just might ' impress his pants off! Cora Levinson, what a shameful thing to think! she said to herself, the blush making her feel hot around the collar.

+++++++

Robert was thinking the same thing, not that he told her. She was radiant as she went over to him. "Will I do, Sir?" she asked, blue eyes sparkling.

He smiled, placing a hand on her cheek. "Very much so, my darling."