Untitled Part 3

Isidor was furious but didn't show his anger until he and Cora were inside the carriage. She looked down at her hands embarrassed by her appearance. "I didn't drink, Papa. Not voluntarily," She said, glancing over at him. He wouldn't even look at her. "What does that even mean, Cora? Someone held you down and poured wine down your throat?" She took a shaky breath, feeling tears again sting the corner of her eyes.

He helped down from the carriage and pulled her inside the flat. Martha gasped at her appearance. "My goodness, Cora, what happened. The dam she built up suddenly burst as she sobbed in Martha's arms. "Come along, I'll ring for Mason and you can get ready for bed," She said, tossing a glance back at her husband. Martha had her sit on the bed and knelt before her. "Now, my darling. Tell me what happened to put you in such a state! You smell like a Winery. Cora told her everything then . When she was finished, Martha was smiling. "You're not mad?" She asked.

"Why ever would I be mad at you?"

"Papa was. I don't think he believed me. Oh and Robert asked if he could take me out for dinner soon."

"Did he now? He sounds like quite the gentleman, my dear, but are you sure about this? You remember what his mother said."

Cora nodded. "I am ! I truly believe we'll be great friends although he says he loves me but I don't understand how one can know that after two meetings.

"Darling, he's attracted to you. That doesn't mean his love is untrue. Attraction is not love, but there is something he sees in you that perhaps he can't live without.

"Is it possible I may never love him?" How can I be with someone forever if I don't love them? I just don't think that's fair."

"You will need to think very carefully on this. Don't just jump into a relationship because you don't want to hurt someone, It will not end well if you do that. Take some time to really get to know him. Have deep conversations, learn his likes and interests. You're intelligent, my darling, and he'll see that and respond in kind."

+++++

Rosamund had asked Robert to join her for tea on her Veranda. She was interested in hearing of the Garden Party he attended last night because of rumors she heard. Robert ran a hand through his hair and began. As Rosamund listened she saw the anger, worry and, yes even love in his eyes as he spoke of Cora. Her brother was in love and she knew there was nothing fake about it. He would be able to do his duty, as harsh as that seemed, and be with the woman he loved. Hopefully she could be with the one she loved as well.

"Well, brother, now you have to ask Mama to invite her to Downton. I am happy for you, but you realize you are marrying her for her money?"

"Yes, please don't remind me. I love her more than the money! Papa knows that and he's pleased. I will talk to Mama after tea."

++++++

Mama!" Robert said. "How could you say that? Cora is nothing like that! So her family wants her to have a title and we need her money. I'd say that's a fair exchange don't you? Besides I can offer her love!"

"Violet, Robert is right. Son, invite her to Downton I would love to meet her."

"Patrick!"

+++++++

"Cora," Isidor said. "Are you ok? You seem quiet this morning."

She looked up, wiping away a tear. "Just a letter from Robert. He has to cancel dinner tomorrow. His Mother is very ill and may not last through the day."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

"Why are you crying?" Martha asked.

"Mother, someone I care about is going through hell I feel sad for him as I would feel sad if you were the one who were ill."

Cora sighed deciding she got her personality from her Papa.

She sent a note to Robert who mentioned he would be in town to handle some things with their lawyer and he asked if he could meet her for lunch. Cora accepted if only to provide some comfort to her new friend.

+++++++

Cora entered Rules. It was her first time there. Robert stood tall in his black suit. She could tell that he seemed distressed. Not that she could blame him. And she was surprised he wanted to be seen in public and so far from home at this time. Robert pulled the chair out for her. She sat and once he was seated, she reached out to place her hand on his, giving him a sad smile. "Are you certain you want to be here?" she asked. We could go to a small tea room if you'd prefer."

He shook his head. "No, this is fine. I just found I needed to see you and spend some time with you."

She ducked her head and blushed. What a dear thing to say.

Robert had to admit that Cora's blush was the prettiest shade of pink he'd ever seen. She was gorgeous and wanted to propose to her but he felt wrong doing so while his mother was slipping away. Besides he should speak to Mr. Levinson first.

Robert suddenly felt a tightness in his chest and tears slipped from his eyes. "Maybe we should go, Robert," Cora said softly.

He nodded. "Perhaps we should. I am sorry."

There's no need to apologize," She told him. "I'll take you back to the train station.

Once they got their coats, she took his hand and they went to the station. His heart swelled with love for this beautiful and kind woman he met this season. He was definitely lucky and he felt real friendship with her as well.

They arrived at the station and he purchased a ticket then he was handed a telegram. He opened it and frowned.

"Robert?" Cora asked.

"Shes gone," he whispered. "My mother is gone. They said she had weeks left, but she's gone."

Cora guided him to a nearby bench and had him sit. She sat next to him, putting her arm over his shoulder. He laid his head on her shoulder. "The train will be here soon, I should go."

"Shall I come with you?"

"No, that's not necessary but I do thank you, Cor."