Part title

1912

"Thank you, Barrow. Have a good day. "

"You too Master Andrew."

Andrew watched as His valet left. now it was time for breakfast. Barrow was quiet this morning which was unusual. Andrew had asked his father for his own personal valet but he was given Barrow as a temporary fill in. Sometimes the man made him feel nervous and he wasn't certain why. Barrow asked questions no Valet should of their employers.

Andrew headed down, passing his younger sister, Edith on the stairs. "Good morning, Edie!"

"Andy" she said but she seemed preoccupied. With a shrug he entered the dining room. "Good morning, Carson, Papa!"

Carson nodded, handing him a plate. As he loaded it with kedgeree, eggs and bacon, Edith and Mary entered. "When Anna mentioned it, I thought she'd dreamt it. "What?" Andrew asked, glancing over Papa's shoulder to read the paper. "It sank?" he asked skeptically.

"Afraid so," Papa answered. Andrew frowned. His good friend and his family had planned to take a trip . "Horrible," he muttered, sinking into his chair. He suddenly lost his appetite. "Telegram, Andrew," His sister Sybil said, handing it to him. He took it and opened it with his knife. He stared at the message it was from his friend, the Viscount Mabry. He and his father made it to new York but his mother and sister, who Andrew loved did not. Wordlessly he handed the telegram to his father.

"Oh, Andrew I am sorry."

"If you'll excuse me," he said. "I'll meet you at the stable, Papa."

Robert stood as Mary entered. "What's the matter with Andrew now?"

"Mary, be kind," Robert replied. ""Abigail  did not survive the Titanic."

"Golly."

+++

"Come in," Cora said when she heard a knock. "Isn't this too awful? "she asked. Noticing his expression, she asked. "What is it, darling?"

"Viscount Mabry sent a telegram his mother and sister did not make it."

"Oh God! Is Andrew alright? Should I speak to him?"

"He went out to the stable to wait for me."

Se nodded, "don't keep him too long, He'll need to process this." Robert gave her a kiss and left to start his day.