Part title

The next month or so Cora didn't have any dinner parties planned which suited Robert just fine as she was 8  months pregnant, due in June. He wanted as little stress as possible for her and Patrick agreed. the only visitors included Lady Branksome whom had befriended Cora wholeheartedly. She was also pregnant with her first born.  The women discussed ideas for the nursery, names, as well . He was happy she found someone other than himself.  Rosamund was not in the same position as Cora. Unfortunately his sister wasn't able to have children. Cora knew that and refused to flaunt her pregnant belly in front of her unless Rosamund invited herself over. Cora told her she was always welcome of course.

"My dear, Cora, I must be going. I have my final appointment before this little one comes." Cora stood. " Of course" she said extending her hand. "I do pray that all goes well for you."

She smiled. "And I for you as well, my friend.

Robert entered, smiling in greeting, then went over to Cora, hugging her from behind just as the baby kicked her ribs. "Oh!" she said in surprise. 

"Goodness that was hard. I suppose it hurts?"

She looked up at him. "It's your child! You should teach him or her to behave and not cause me so much pain!" 

He chuckled, "How about I massage your back? We have plenty of time before luncheon."

"You don't have anymore meetings?"

"Not until tomorrow, My darling. I'm all yours," he said, placing a kiss on her lips.

"Stop it, what if Papa comes in?"

Robert shrugged. " He knows were intimate my darling, this (points at her belly) Is proof enough!"

"You're incorrigible!"

"Yes and you love it!"

He helped her to her feet. "I have something to tell you, Robert. I went  to see Dr. Clarkson today at his request. Nothing is wrong, he Just wanted to check things over and verify my due date."

+++++

Robert helped Cora as they made their way up the stairs. He couldn't imagine having to carry such a load on her small frame but she did it beautifully. She took several breaths once she was finally seated on the edge of the bed. He noticed that she seemed much bigger than other women at this stage, At least that's what his father said but he was told, under no circumstances was he to verbally say that to Cora. 

She pulled him beside her. "Darling, you might need to brace yourself."

"What?" He asked worried.

"After double checking, it turns out we are having twins and they're due any day now. 

He stared at her in stunned silence. "Cor.... no."

"Darling, yes. Do you think a woman is normally this big?" He opened his mouth but decided against answering the question. I suppose we'll need a wet nurse now You can't nurse two babies at once."

She conceded. "Very well. And I'd like to see if Rosamund can be with me for the birth. I don't think my mother would make it in time."

"Certainly, "he said, putting an arm over her shoulder and laying back on the bed with her. They lie there quietly thinking on the implications of having two children at once. Robert held her hand and placed it on her belly. She  sighed contently then spoke up. "It's a better chance one of these little ones could be a boy." He sat up and leaned over her. "Oh, my darling, You do know that I'll love our child no matter what because it is proof of our love."