Untitled Part 4

Cora decided to take her time heading home, her heart aching for Robert. Had he really sacrificed time with his mother to spend time with her? She just did not understand love, but if that was it, she wanted to feel it. Cora wanted to understand but she couldn't even reading the great love poets or Shakespeare didn't seem to give her any clarity.

+++++

Cora was home and, despite her long walk, she felt disquieted and confused about everything. She cared for Robert, yes, but she wasn't in love, not like he was and she felt bad for that. Was it better to fall in love quickly or over time? She just didn't know. There was a knock on her door. "Come in!" She turned to see her father. Isidor sat beside Cora. "Are you alright, my daughter? You came home sooner than I expected."

"He wasn't really feeling up to it. when we got to the station a telegram arrived. His mother died."

"That's a shame. He must really care for you if he came to see you anyway."

She shrugged. "That's what I don't understand, father! He sacrificed what was his last day with his mother to be with me? Is that love?"

He pulled a book from his back and placed it in her hands. "I know how much you love poetry so I bought you  a book of poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Perhaps she can help answer your questions."

She smiled, giving him a hug. "Thank you, father!"

+++

"Mr. Crawley, I am very sorry for your loss," Isidor said. Robert nodded. "Thank you, Sir. I suppose you're wondering why I asked you for a drink?"

"I think I have an idea," he said with a smile.

Robert sat down as their drinks were brought over to them. 'I'd like to ask for your daughter's hand, Mr. Levinson."

Isidor smiled broadly. "How wonderful! I do agree to this, my boy!"

Robert smiled. "My father would like to invite you all over for dinner On Friday. I will send you the train information and we'll see you at 8:00."

"I'll look forward to it, thank you."

+++++

Cora was nervous about her mother meeting Lord Grantham. Hopefully she wouldn't bring up the Outburst Lady Grantham had at the ball. Her father didn't think she would , but Cora knew they both saw Mama differently.And, Cora, finally started to feel something more for Robert. It was a month after Lady Grantham's funeral and they started to spend more time together. She helped him through the grieving process, which was surprisingly easy for an Englishman. She encouraged him to talk about his mother and how much of a driving force she was in the county and suddenly Cora's heart ached for this man, for the missed opportunity to get to know this woman who gave birth to such an amazing man.  Her heart thundered in her chest as the carriage moved closer to Downton. When it came into view, she gasped. It was beautiful. Tears filled her eyes because she knew the conversation her father had with Robert the other day and this new feeling thinking about him filled her stomach.

She wasn't sure she could say it just yet but she thought perhaps she was falling for him.

++++++

Cora sat up straighter as the carriage came to a stop and a footman opened the door. She accepted his hand  stepped out, her eyes landing on Robert and she returned his smile. She walked over to him and he introduced her to his father, who kissed her hand. "It's an honor to meet you, Lord Grantham," She said with a smile. "And you, Miss Levinson."

++++++

Robert watched as Cora's eyes shined in the moonlight.  That pretty blush was on her cheeks as she looked at the  flowers. "So beautiful," she murmured.

"Yes, beautiful, She heard Robert said. Looking up at him she noticed he was looking at her, not the flowers. She giggled. "Robert, are you okay?"

"I am more than okay, Cor. You make Downton so much brighter with your presence that I have something important to ask you." She nodded, turning to face him and he took her hands, kneeling in front of her. Cora felt a blush creep to her cheeks as Robert spoke of her beauty and his hopes for their future. Miss Cora Levinson, will you do the honor of marrying me?" he asked. She hesitated but only for a moment. This meant she'd be a Countess right away. Did she have the ability to take on such a position? To have a village like Downton dependent on her? Could she make Robert proud? Cora wasn't sure.  She was brought back to the present by Roberts hand on her face. "Cora?" he asked, a sad look on his face. Realizing he thought she was turning him down, Cora chose to bite the bullet. YES, Robert! Yes, I'll marry you!"

Robert laughed as he placed a beautiful turquoise and diamond ring on her finger. Then he picked her up and swung her around as they both laughed happily.