Chapter 4

Bella's P.O.V.

What the hell?

I couldn't stop that one question from running through my mind. As soon as I walked into Biology, I spotted Edward sitting at a desk with the only empty seat left in the classroom. A small smile lit up my face at the opportunity to talk to him, but it vanished soon after due to his changing attitude. I walked further into the room and stood in front of a fan. He tensed up and placed his hand over his nose and mouth, almost as if he had smelled raw sewage or spoiled milk. I stood there with a look of astonishment gracing my face. I couldn't believe he did that! I didn't even know what brought it on!

After getting my slip signed by the teacher, I sat next to Edward and took my notebook and a pencil out of my bag. He leaned away, angled his chair away from me, and averted his face all-the-while I rummaged through my bookbag. It irked me; I had just washed my hair the night before with my favorite strawberry shampoo, and I had taken a shower right before school. I tried to keep my focus on the teacher, but it was hard when there was an angry god-like boy beside me. I turned my head to look at him and was met with a pair of dark, hatred-filled eyes. He stared at me with his deadly glare the whole duration of the class, causing me to become uncomfortable and confused. When the bell rang to signal that class had ended, he rushed out of his seat and was out of the door faster than anyone could move.

I sighed in anger and stood up from my seat. I exited the classroom and made my way towards the main office to turn in my slip. It was slightly drizzling outside, so I rushed to the office in hopes that my hair wouldn't mess up too much. In no time, I arrived at the office and opened the door. When I stepped into the room, I noticed that Mrs. Cope was not at her desk and that Toni was already in the room. She was speaking politely to one person who would not speak to me: Edward.

"...different, but I like the rain and the cold better. The heat makes me uncomfortable."

"Is that one of the reasons why you kept visiting your father every summer?"

"Yes," she said as she laughed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. I narrowed my eyes at the movement and glared slightly at the thought of having competition. At that moment, a girl opened the door and allowed the wind to rustle my hair and the slip in my hand. Edward tensed and turned towards me with a glare adorning his face. Toni looked my way, as well, and beckoned me forward with a small smile.

"Isabella, come meet Edward," she said.

I shook my head and stayed rooted in place. Was she too stupid to notice the hostility Edward was showing me? Mrs. Cope came back to her desk and started arguing with Edward; he was trying to switch into a different science class but couldn't because the other science classes were full. I was appalled at the fact that he wanted to switch out of biology because I was in his class. We hadn't even spoken a single word to each other, yet he acted like I murdered his entire family.

"Never mind then," he said hastily. "I can see that it's impossible. Thank you so much for your help. I'll see you around, Toni."

He turned on his heels and disappeared through the door, slightly checking my shoulder as he left. I scoffed and muttered under my breath.

Mrs. Cope finally noticed me and Toni, and asked, "How was your first day at Forks High School?"

"Fine," I said while silently fuming. Why was he being so mean to me, but so nice to Toni? I mean, he liked her right away but shunned me the second he saw me.

"It was good, Mrs. Cope. Thanks for asking," Toni replied.

She made eye contact with me and snickered quietly with a smirk on her face. I rolled my eyes at her childlike behavior and walked out the door and towards the truck. Toni followed behind me after giving Mrs. Cope her slip.

"Why are you in such a bad mood?" Toni asked. She smirked and opened her mouth to say something, but I interrupted before she could.

"I'm not in the mood, Toni," I snapped out. She rolled her eyes and hopped into the truck. I followed suit to get out of the rain and cold and into warmth. After starting the engine, I quickly glanced through the mirror to see if the shiny Volvo was still in the parking lot. It wasn't.

--------------------

"How?"

That was the first question that came out of my mouth as soon as I got Toni alone. Dad had wanted to 'celebrate' our homecoming by going out to the diner for dinner. Needless to say, I was too anxious to ambush her, so it was entirely too boring as I listened to endless stories of Toni and me when we were kids and met people I knew as a child.

"How what, my dear sister?" she asked sarcastically.

"I don't have time for your stupid, childish games Toni. Tell me how you managed to get Edward Cullen, let alone his entire family, to talk to you."

She smirked at me. Her eyes shined bright with mischief.

"It wasn't hard, Isabella. All I had to do was not be a total bitch when I talked to someone."

My face warmed up in anger, and I stalked towards her. I tried as best as I could to be face to face with her, but she was a little too tall to intimidate her that way. I tried anyways, going on my tiptoes, which added a couple of inches to my small frame. I put on the meanest face I could and started threatening her.

"I know you like him," I said. "No offense, but Edward is suited for someone better."

"Like you?" she snorted. "I'm not going to argue with you over a boy, Bella. I'm sure Edward would like someone who doesn't stalk and antagonize others."

"I don't know how you got him to believe you're such a great person, but I'm not giving up on him. He'll warm up to me eventually," I proclaimed.

"We'll see," she said before she sauntered off into her room. I huffed in frustration and stomped off to my room. Toni was the most annoying person in the world. I couldn't understand why people liked her so much. She was so full of herself and a know-it-all. She had so many people wrapped around her finger; even Charlie couldn't see who she really was!

At least mom likes me better.

It was true. I was my mom's precious, first-born child, and she showed her favoritism. She was always reluctant to buy and do things for Toni, but she was always in a rush to provide for me. I used to feel bad about it, but when I realized the rewards and attention I was getting felt so good, I stopped caring. Besides, I wasn't the one showing favoritism. I wasn't to blame, so it wasn't my responsibility to do anything about it.

I thought about the day's events as I changed into my pajamas and got settled in bed. Edward's smiling face wouldn't leave my mind. Although the smile wasn't directed at me, I felt giddy imagining it was. I'd turn his head soon enough.