Chapter 14

Toni's P.O.V.

It was Thursday night and dad finally got out of work on time. I was sitting in the living room with him watching Tv, and for once, he let me pick what we watched. I chose some action movie that seemed like it would be good. I tried concentrating on it, but I couldn't stop thinking about Edward's actions. I wanted to forgive him because I knew it was the right thing to do, but would he repeat his actions? Would he voluntarily hurt me once again if I cut him some slack? I sighed and my dad caught it. I gave him a small smile and continued to ponder my decision.

"I thought you'd be more into this," my dad said as he gestured to the TV. "What's wrong, kid?"

"It's nothing," I brushed it off. He grabbed the remote and turned off the screen.

"If it was nothing, you wouldn't be sitting there looking miserable. C'mon, what happened?"

I hesitated before I said, "A friend of mine said some hurtful things to me and I don't know if I should forgive them yet."

"What did they say?" he asked.

"They just threw some words in my face, is all. They apologized, but I don't know if I should forgive them," I confessed.

"How do you feel about it, bud?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you still affected by their words?"

"Well, it happened over a week ago," I said as I bit my lip, "but I found out he did it on purpose a few days ago. I was starting to get over it when I found out he did it purposefully."

"And how do you feel now?"

"I'm kind of tired of holding a grudge against him. It's a lot of work to pretend I hate him when I just want to talk to him."

"Then forgive him. Don't drag it out any longer," he said simply. I took a deep breath and leaned into his side for comfort. He threw an arm around my shoulders and kissed the top of my head.

"Thanks, dad."

"It's my job," he said. He turned the TV back on, but this time I noticed he was the one distracted. I poked his side and asked him what was wrong.

"So it's a boy," my dad gruffed out. I sat there shocked as to how he had guessed I was talking about Edward. Then I realized I had switched the pronouns I had been using, outing myself. I almost facepalmed at my mistake.

"Do you like this boy?" he asked seriously.

"Yeah," I answered truthfully.

"What's his name?"

"Don't yell at me," I said before I told him it was Edward.

"Isn't he the same boy your sister likes?" he asked incredulously. I nodded my head silently and pleaded him with my eyes to not blow it out of proportion. He sighed and sunk into his seat. "You girls are going to give me a headache."

"It's not like I meant to like the same guy she does. It just happened!" I exclaimed.

"I'm going to leave it to the two of you to figure out. Just don't let it get in between you two. I'm getting tired of hearing you fighting all the time," he said wearily.

"No promises, but I'll try my best."

---------------------

I watched the shiny Volvo roll into the parking spot across the lot and park. Its doors opened and the Cullens stepped out. I gathered my wits and walked over to them. I greeted Rosalie, Jasper, Emmett, and Alice with a wave and a smile. All of them reciprocated my actions except Alice, who pulled me into a hug and whispered a light "good luck" into my ear. I didn't know how she knew what I was up to, but I hugged her back tightly as thanks. I faced Edward and waved awkwardly at him. He chuckled but it was marred with defensiveness.

"Toni," he greeted.

"Edward," I greeted back. "I wanted to tell you that I forgive you for what you did."

"I don't deserve your forgiveness," he stated.

"Maybe you don't, but I'm tired of stressing myself out over it. I thought about it and I'm tired of holding a grudge against you," I said.

"I am sorry for what I said, Toni," he apologized.

I rolled my eyes and said, "I know. Now stop wallowing in your self-pity and accept my forgiveness."

"I shouldn't," he said, mainly to himself. Toni punched him in the arm and winced when she pulled her hand back. It was throbbing with pain. "That's exactly why I shouldn't"

"Tough shit, Edward. I've noticed you have a tendency to change your mind. I'll let you get to class, but come find me at lunch. I'm sure you'll have made up your mind by then," I said. I left him standing in astonishment and headed to class. The most confusing part of Edward wasn't his physical appearance but his way of thinking. One minute he was okay with something and the next minute he wasn't. Maybe his mind-reading ability was clouding his judgment.

When lunch rolled around, I sat with the Cullens. Edward wasn't in the room yet, but I patiently waited for him to arrive. I waited five minutes before he stepped through the doors. I smirked as he made his way tot he table.

I see I was right.

He lowered his head and huffed in amusement. He took the seat next to me and set me with a look.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"You do this all the time. It's not hard to figure out," I said nonchalantly.

"I'm not Alice, but even I could see it coming," Rosalie said with a roll of her eyes. I giggled.

"Do you think you can come over to our house this weekend?" Alice asked. "Esme has been dying to meet you!"

"Sorry, Alice. I can't. I already promised Angela I would go to La Push with her this weekend," I apologized. "Is next weekend okay?"

"That's perfectly fine!" Alice exclaimed. There was a hint of worry in her golden eyes, but her voice was strong and steady.

"You're going to La Push?" Edward asked. "Bella mentioned it, but she didn't tell me you were going too."

"What's wrong with La Push?" I asked.

"Let's just say the animals there don't like us," Emmett grimaced. Rose hit him in the arm and gestured towards me. I pursed my lips in confusion. Every time I visited La Push, the only big animal I'd seen was a deer and deer weren't that big compared to other animals.

"I'd invite you to go with us, but it sounds like you'd all reject my invitation," I said with a frown.

"Would you listen to me if I asked you not to go?" Edward asked.

"No," I said shortly.

"Of course not," he grumbled.

"We can hang out a different day," Alice suggested.

"Sounds like a plan," I agreed.

"We can plan a day in Seattle and go to the mall. Port Angeles doesn't exactly carry what I like to wear," Alice said with her nose wrinkled.

"Sure."

Jasper chuckled and cautioned, "Don't let her get carried away."

"I scrunched my eyebrows together and said, "Is she that bad with shopping?"

"You have no idea," he replied.

"I promise to keep it to a ten bag maximum," Alice said gleefully.

"Are we talking big bags, small bags, or regular bags?" I asked dubiously.

"Big bags, of course!"

"Of course."