Chapter 26

Toni's P.O.V.

"You are my mate, Toni."

I was rooted in my seat by surprise and astonishment. I couldn't believe the words that came out of his mouth and yet, I could. It all made sense now!

"I'm your mate?" I asked him just for clarification. He huffed out a laugh and smiled widely.

"You don't believe me?"

"I-I do. It's just unbelievable," I told him. And it was. Who would have ever thought that I would be the mate of a vampire? None of it, the supernatural that is, ever existed in my world until I moved to Forks. Sure, people hoped that vampires existed so they could live out their fantasies, but no one had evidence that they truly existed.

"I don't believe you," Bella said.

And just like that, the smile on my face washed away. I forgot she was still in the car. She had tears in her eyes that she tried to hide by wiping them away. I didn't know what to do. It must hurt to see the person you like to be interested in someone else. I should have been more sympathetic, but the way she acted at lunch made me rethink comforting her. I sighed and put a hand on her shoulder. She shrugged me off and turned away from me.

"Bella..."

"Don't 'Bella' me. I should have known you'd do something like this to me," she said. She sniffed and took off into the house. I put my hands over my face and rubbed hard. No doubt, she'd cause trouble and Charlie would once again be in the middle of our bickering.

I didn't mean cause so much trouble.

"It's not your fault, Toni," I heard Edward tell me.

"Yeah, well Bella doesn't see it that way," I said. "Usually, I try to help her out. I guess I'm just fed up with her attitude."

"Don't let her get to you, love," Edward said. He got out of the car and opened my door for me. I got out and he enveloped me in a hug. He kissed the top of my head and said, "I have to go discuss things with Carlisle. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

I leaned my head against his shoulder and nodded my head. I pecked him on the cheek. I detached from him and entered the house. I should have known that having Bella around 24/7 would not be easy. I opened my eyes and tried to think over what I was going to say to Bella before I got to her room. I tried to open Bella's door, but it was locked.

"Bella, open the door."

"Why, so you can rub the fact that you are Edward's mate in my face?" I heard her say.

"I just want to talk, Bella."

"No. Go back to the attic where you belong!" she yelled. My face morphed into a grimace as I stepped away from the door. I left the hallway and made my way to my room. I stepped into my room and plopped myself on the bed, sighing in frustration and closing my eyes. After a few seconds, I got fed up with the silence that roamed the house and walked towards my stereo and my CDs. I picked out a Dario Marianelli CD. His music started flowing out of the speakers as I walked over to my desk and sat down. I pulled out some art supplies and started sketching whatever came to mind. After about twenty minutes, I realized I was drawing a picture of Edward.

I smiled and gazed at the picture fondly. It was nowhere done, but the foundation of it was already drawn, allowing me to already understand what it was. I heard Bella shout downstairs and cringed. I opened my bedroom door and heard her voice drift up the stairs. She was angrily talking to our mom, complaining about me and asking her to talk to me.

I closed my door and tried to continue drawing, but her voice grew louder and louder until I couldn't take it anymore. I slammed my pencil down on my desk and immediately stopped drawing. I closed my eyes shut and massaged my temples. I shook my head and abruptly stood up. There was no way I was staying in the house to listen to her shout. I grabbed my jacket and put it on, grabbed my phone and placed it inside of my jacket pocket, and ran down the stairs. I went out the backdoor and into the trees behind the house. I stuck to the trail that was run into the ground after going on long hikes as a child so I wouldn't get lost and hummed as I walked.