Chapter 17

Toni's P.O.V.

"Hey, Toni!"

I turned around and saw Jessica. I rolled my eyes and started walking again. I was hoping she would get the hint that I didn't want to talk to her, but she caught up to me and started walking beside me. Jessica and I still weren't the best of friends, and her constant talking wasn't helping. I had to admit, she wasn't such a bad person. She was fun to be around sometimes and she was really smart, but some of the things she said were awful. Although most days she talked about someone's outfit, she gossiped about any and everything. Just the other day, she told us that some girl broke up with her boyfriend. The part that bothered me about that conversation was that Jessica said that she knew the girl would not keep her boyfriend due to her weight.

"Did you want to come to Port Angeles tonight? Angela and I are looking for dresses for prom," she said.

"I don't know, Jessica. I have a lot of homework to do and finding dresses isn't my forte," I told her. It was all true, of course. My teachers thought it would be hilarious to slam me with homework and I wasn't that big on fashion, not like Alice.

"Please, Toni. You have to help me out! And Bella is going too," she whined. I sighed. If Bella was going, then everything would be worse. Still, it would be a good opportunity to look for my dress. Two people had asked me to prom so far, but I was hoping a certain bronze-haired boy would.

"Okay. I'll go. What time are we meeting each other?"

She squealed out and threw her arms around me. I pushed her off me a bit roughly and looked at her like she was insane.

"Thank you! We're going straight after school," she informed me.

"A little more time would have been helpful," I grumbled.

I wasn't in a good mood. In truth, I was just distracted. The other day, I went with Alice and Rosalie to the mall in Port Angeles. We were supposed to go to Seattle, but my dad didn't want me out the entire day. We had been out most of the day and I hadn't brought any food with me, so I ate in the food court. The thing was, Alice and Rosalie didn't eat anything. They told me they had eaten before we left, but we left around eight in the morning and when I ate, it was around one in the afternoon. I voiced this to them and they said that they didn't get hungry often. They never seemed to be hungry. They never ate in the cafeteria. They always bought food, but all of it was always present on their tray when they threw it away at the end of lunch.

They were also able to carry multiple bags at the mall without seeming to strain themselves. We had gone to every store in the mall, which meant we acquired many bags to carry around. I was having a lot of trouble carrying mine, but they seemed to have no problem with theirs. They had to have been carrying at least ten bags each. I had never seen someone do that before with such ease.

"Sorry. We planned it out a while back, but it wasn't until recently that someone suggested you tag along," she said a little sincerely. I bet any money that 'someone' was Angela. Angela always had my back. We didn't hang out after school much, but we were always calling each other at night to catch up on things. Many times, dad had to tell me to get off the landline because of how late it got. She was a true friend and I promised myself I wouldn't screw up my friendship with her like I did with Mandy.

"It's fine. So, should I meet you at your car?" I asked her.

"Yeah, that's fine. See you then," she confirmed and then ran off to class. I was a bit happy that I was invited. No one at my old school in Arizona invited me, though I gave them a reason to stay away. I felt included and I was excited about the trip.

--------------------

"Toni."

A hand placed itself on my shoulder and squeezed ever so slightly. I turned around in my chair and faced Edward. I was sitting with Angela and grew sheepish when I heard her quietly squeal. I blushed and ignored the stares I was receiving,