Chapter 29

Third P.O.V.

Victoria was standing in a warehouse located in Seattle after running away from the female Cullens. She was waiting for James and her other companion to show up. She knew Laurent wouldn't show up after disappearing on them. She growled in annoyance at the thought of that traitor. She always knew he would leave when things got tough; it wasn't in his nature to fight and take risks. When she found out he had left, she was livid. How could he have left without trying to help her and her mate escape? Although they were coven mates for only a short period, she couldn't believe he gave up on them so quickly.

She had been cautious when the Cullens arrived to protect Toni. All she could think about was how she and her mate could escape without getting harmed or killed. After the Cullens' leader gave them the signal to attack, he sped off into the forest with James at her heels. She decided to split up and was glad when only the girls came after her. She knew that James could handle himself, so she only worried about getting away. She smirked as she remembered how slow they were and how angry they had gotten when she had laughed at them. She has been running from danger since she was old enough to walk, so the thought of them thinking they could catch her was hilarious.

She stiffened as she felt a presence in the room with her, but relaxed as she recognized the scent.

"Finally decided to show up?" she asked.

"I had a few things to do."

She turned around to find a male vampire. He had long, chestnut hair hanging freely down to his shoulders and red eyes that were bright due to his recent feeding. He was wearing a plain, gray T-shirt and ripped jeans with a leather jacket and a pair of sneakers on his feet. He looked to be in his early twenties, and he was tall, at least 6 feet in height, with an impressive muscle mass.

"Where are James and Laurent?" he asked Victoria.

"We were cut off by some vampires before we could bring her to you. They were protecting her and came after us. Laurent left before they attacked and James and I split up to try to shake them off our tail," she explained.

"Are you lying to me?" he asked dangerously.

Victoria tried to hide her fear, but she knew she wasn't covering it up well. Even so, she straightened her back and said, "Of course not."

The male pushed her up against a wall and slammed her head into it. He hissed and held her chin, making sure she was looking him in the eye.

"I'll ask one more time, Victoria. Are you lying to me?" he asked slowly. He knew she was lying about something but wasn't sure about what. It was his gift. When someone lied, a red slither of fog or breath would leave their mouth with their words. He had watched as a red slither of breath had left Victoria's mouth during the first part of her explanation and wasn't sure if she was lying about the vampires or about bringing Toni back.

"Yes," Victoria said.

"Tell me the truth."

"We were cut off by some vampires, but we weren't planning on bringing her back to you."

The male threw her away from him in frustration and started pacing back and forth. Who were they to disobey his orders?

"You're lucky I still need you or else I would kill you. Now, you said Laurent left?"

Victoria sneered and said, "You knew he was a coward from the day we met him."

"Still, I didn't think he would flee like that," he said with a frown on his face. "No worries, though. He'll get what's coming for him after we finish this. Now, tell me about these vampires you encountered How many of them are there?" Dean asked. Before he stormed in to take what was his, he wanted to know what he was up against. If there were too many, he would rethink his plan and go from there. If not, he would simply kill the ones in his way and take Toni. There was no use in being difficult if he could take the easy route.