Chapter 10

Toni's P.O.V.

Carlisle Cullen.

He had to be the doctor that had just walked into the room. If his name tag didn't give it away, his ethereal beauty did. He looked young, like he was in his early to mid-twenties instead of in his mid-thirties. His blonde hair brought out the paleness of his skin and matched his golden eyes. He was a handsome man, even with the dark circles under his eyes, and he seemed like he was the fatherly type: kind, protective, and understanding.

So, this was Edward's dad. You could tell that Edward was adopted as their noses, jawlines, lips, hairline, and build were different. Yet, you could get confused and mistake them as biological dad and son if you only focused on their unearthly beauty.

"I heard the chief's daughters were in. You two must be the chief's daughters," Dr. Cullen said. "How are you feeling Isabella?"

"It's Bella and I'm fine," she said in an irritated tone. I snickered as I knew she was irritated by being called Isabella. I didn't understand why she hated her name so much. I loved her name; I loved it more than mine. It was beautiful and feminine while mine was masculine and plain. It was hard growing up with a boy's name. Kids made fun of me because of it. I wasn't a popular girl, to begin with, so my name was just the icing on the cake. I think I've always been jealous of her name, as weird as that was. It was because of that reason that I call her Isabella every day. I knew that every time I called her that, she would lash out, so I called her it every chance I got.

Dr. Cullen just smiled in response.

"And you, Toni? How are you feeling?"

"I'm better than I was. My nerves have calmed down, but my head still hurts a lot. So does my ankle"

"OK," he said while walking to the light board on the wall. He turned it on and looked at Bella.

"Your X-rays look good. Does your head hurt? Edward said both of you hit your head pretty hard," he informed us.

"It's fine," she repeated with a sigh as she threw a quick scowl towards Edward. I guess she was still mad at him for not answering her questions.

Dr. Cullen probed her head lightly to check for bumps or bleeding. She winced, causing guilt to flood through me. I might have pushed her too hard. He finished with her, saying that she needed to rest for the remainder of the day and that she needed to come back if she felt dizzy or light-headed. He informed her that our dad was in the waiting room, along with many students from school, and with a groan and a quick, promising glance at Edward, she left the room.

A couple of seconds after she left, Dr. Cullen turned his attention to me and said, "It's nice to meet the girl who has won over my children."

I smiled.

"It's nice to meet the generous man who adopted five important friends of mine," I said. Edward laughed.

"Please, call me Carlisle," he said while chuckling.

"Okay then," I agreed. "Before you give me my diagnosis, I want to inform you that I received a concussion a few days ago," I said sheepishly.

"A concussion? When did you receive that?" Edward asked.

"A few days ago. Last Thursday, to be exact," I informed them.

"How?" Edward asked in a demanding tone. His eyes were a bit dark from emotion, his shoulders were tense, and his lips were set into a firm line. Dr. Cullen set a reassuring hand on his shoulder and Edward let out a breath in response.

"I, uh, fell down the stairs in my house."

Edward closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. He chuckled darkly a bit and shook his head as he made eye contact with me.