Chapter Two

I ran into the bedroom and opened the closet. I started haphazardly taking clothes off the hangers and throwing them on the floor. In a small sports bag, I stuffed a few dresses.

My thinking wasn't clear, but I knew I had to leave that house.

I called a cab, threw the bag over my shoulder, and returned to the living room. On my way to the front door, I grabbed my purse from the portmanteau.

But just before I pushed the door handle, I stopped and turned around. I wiped my tears, put on the black sunglasses to cover my red eyes and smudged mascara, and headed into the sitting room.

The action continued there; only the poses had changed. Dominic was fucking Hayley, who had her back to him, her arm resting on the armchair while she fingered Caroline, who sat before her.

I opened the door wide. In an instant, the pleasure and moans of all three stopped. They turned and stared at me with horrified faces.

"Hello, baby. I hope you're having a good time with those two bitches." With incredible effort, I managed to keep my voice from shaking. "Because from here on out, you're stuck with them. You will never see me again."

"Sav!" Dominic shouted. "Savannah!"

I slammed the door and ran out of the house. I kept hearing my husband shouting, but I didn't stop. The taxi was already waiting for me out front, so I climbed into it without a second thought.

"Drive."

"Where to, Madam?"

"I don't know. To somewhere. Just drive," I muttered.

I didn't know where I was going. Usually, when something unpleasant happened, I looked to my husband for comfort. Now he was the one I wanted to run away from. And when he and I had quarrels, I shared my feelings with my best friends. But at that moment, I was cursing them.

In an instant, I had lost everyone most precious to me.

Perhaps I should have gone to my parents, but the moment I thought about it, I imagined my mother saying something like, "Find the fault in yourself, Savi. If Dom cheats on you, you are not good enough for him..." Other than that, Dominic would look for me at their house first, but I desperately wanted to be as far from him as possible.

I pulled out my phone and texted my mother: I need to be alone for a while. Don't worry about me. Please, don't look for me. I will be in touch with you shortly.

After sending the message, I turned off my phone and threw it out the car window.

The cab drove me aimlessly for some time, then the driver asked me, "Where would you like me to stop, Madam?"

I looked out the side window to get my bearings. But instead, my reflection in the glass looked back at me. To where?

"I don't know. Is there a... Is there a... bus station nearby?"

"The nearest one is about fifteen minutes away," the driver replied.

"Okay. Drive there."

On the way to the bus station, I opened my purse to check how much money I had. There was no more than $500 in there. I hadn't even thought about that when I left the house. Usually, that wouldn't be a problem—my credit cards were always with me. But using them now would make it easier for my location to be detected.

I paid the driver and headed to one of the counters at the bus station.

"Good evening. I want to buy a ticket."

The employee gave me a slightly strange look. Probably because I was wearing sunglasses at night. But I certainly looked worse without them.

"Where are you traveling to?"