Chapter Twenty-Six

"Good morning, Mrs. Lewis."

I rose in bed after the doctor entered the room. I was still a bit sleepy, probably from the meds. "Good morning, Dr. Said."

The doctor typed something on his tablet. "I am glad to tell you that the results of your tests are perfect. You will be discharged in an hour."

"What about Jayden?"

"Your friend's condition is improving. There is no immediate danger to his life anymore. He will be moved to a room in the pulmonary unit on the third floor shortly."

My heart started beating extremely fast. "So, I can see him? Talk to him?"

"You'll be able to see him, but you won't be able to talk to him. He's still unconscious."

"But you said he was fine, didn't you?"

"There are significant improvements. But after being intubated, the patient was put into a medically induced coma. This is necessary because the intubation itself is uncomfortable, and patients often struggle with the tube, and this is how we ensure tube breathing works properly," the doctor explained.

"When will he wake up?" I asked, still full of worry.

"If everything goes this well, we will remove the tube and stop the medications in two to three days."

It all sounded so scary. Jayden couldn't die. He shouldn't die. He didn't deserve any of what happened to him. He didn't deserve his life to be in danger because of Dominic. Because of me. He didn't deserve it at all.

After the doctor left, I stood by the window and looked out. The sunshine usually brought warmth and joy to my heart but failed to improve my mood.

This mess was all my fault.

"Savi." Carmen's voice interrupted my dark thoughts.

She entered the room along with Banks and Cohen.

"Hey, guys." I approached them and hugged them.

"How are you?" the boys asked me in unison.

"I'm fine."

"And Jayden?" Carmen asked.

I repeated what the doctor had told me about Jayden's tube being removed in the next few days.

"That's great!" Carmen exclaimed.

"Define great, Carmen. Because none of this sounds great to me," I said sadly.

Carmen hugged me. "We can't change what happened, Savi. But we can accept the good news with joy."

I sighed heavily. The news did sound hopeful, but I couldn't find it in me to be happy. Why wasn't the heaviness lifting from me? The fear and worry felt as if they were still stuck in my throat and seemed to be trying to suffocate me.

"Jayden is strong, Savi. He'll fight through this." Banks also tried to reassure me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

Cohen nodded in agreement, then turned to me. "Can we see him today?"

"Yes. They are supposed to let me know once he's moved to the ward. Then can go to see him."

"Okay. Banks and I will go for a walk and get some coffee. Call us when you have information."

The boys left the room, and Carmen handed me a bag of clothes. My helmet was also inside.

"Banks brought your bike," she replied in response to my questioning look. "We left it in the parking lot for you, in case you want to go to the caravan.