Chapter Thirty

Was it possible for all our problems to be solved just like that? The Lewis family relied on their authority and power. Now they were faced with someone with more power than them. Maybe that was what it took to beat them at their own game. On their turf, by their rules.

I had to believe that. Otherwise, I would live in fear that, after my ostentatious escape with Jayden, the consequences would be cruel.

I'd humiliated Dominic in front of his parents, friends, and mistresses. I'd humiliated him in a way no one had ever dared to try.

But it felt good. He deserved exactly that.

***

In the morning, we returned to the caravan. Our friends were waiting for us there.

Some walked around as guards. Others worked on restoring the garage.

In fact, the garage already looked almost as good as new. The windows had been replaced. The facade was plastered. Only here and there, some remaining black traces reminded me of the fiery hell.

"Welcome home, Savi!" Carmen threw her arms around my neck the moment she saw me.

I hugged her tightly.

"Are you alright, Savi?" she asked me, hints of anxiety amidst her apparent happiness.

"Yes. I'm fine now," I answered her.

Then I sighed. I looked around. Yes. I was fine. I was home.

Jayden walked straight into the garage, but he was kicked out a moment later.

"You have no business here! You should rest. We've got everything covered here! You promised you'd rest once you got Savi back," Cohen said.

Jayden raised his hands. "Okay. Okay. I promised."

He came over to us and hugged me.

"I'm going to the motel, guys," Carmen informed us. "You just... well, do whatever you want. Savi, don't let Jayden get out of bed. I'll bring you some food later."

"I'll take care of the food, Carmen. You need a rest, too," I insisted.

"No. You have a boy to take care of." Carmen winked at me. "I'll take care of everything else."

She jumped on her bike without leaving me time to oppose her decisions.

After she left, I looked around again. "Wow!"

"Yes. An entire brigade," Jayden said. "They haven't moved from here since the fire. Almost everything has been restored."

While Jayden and I were talking and about to go inside, a car pulled up out front. The driver opened the back seat, and a woman dressed in a formal dark blue jacket and pantsuit stepped out.

She walked towards us. The high heels of her shoes occasionally slipped on the gravel, but she didn't seem bothered by it. Her gait was confident; her head held high.

"Good morning," the woman greeted firmly.

Jayden and I looked at each other in amazement.

"Jayden Hill and Savannah Lewis?" she asked.

"And you are?" Jayden asked her, raising an eyebrow.

The woman held out her hand to him. "Everleigh Thompson," she proudly introduced herself.

Leaving no time for us to ask any more questions, she reached into the briefcase she was holding and pulled out some documents. "So. Let's see—"

Jayden cut her off. "I'm sorry. But why are you here?"