Chapter Ten

"Get up, sleeping beauty," Jayden said softly.

"What?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

So many mornings had already passed, and I still couldn't get used to the bright light as soon as I woke up.

But this morning, something was different. Actually, the light wasn't that bright.

"Jayden, what time is it?"

"6:30."

"But why? Why are you up so early? And why are you waking me up too?"

I turned on my side and covered my head with the duvet.

"Because it's time to start your lessons."

"What lessons?"

The bed creaked, and I felt Jayden almost on top of me.

I poked my head out from under the covers. "You're crazy. You know that?"

"No. No one has said that to me before."

"Well, I'm telling you now. Mmmmm..." I stretched my arms up, yawning.

"Okay. If you want, we will postpone the lessons."

"Not that I don't want to." I propped my elbow on the bed and rested my head on my palm. "I'm just not ready."

"How come you're not ready?"

"I don't know. I'm not mentally ready, I guess."

"Come on. You'll love it, I promise."

"Okay. But first..." I rolled over him. "I need to wake up." I brought my face closer to his. "Can you do something about that?"

"Well, I made coffee..." Jayden raised an eyebrow seductively. "But you seem to want something stronger than that..."

He pressed his lips against mine; my t-shirt was already flying to the other end of the caravan.

***

1 hour later

"Come on before I give up." I nodded to Jayden, getting off the bed.

We put on our clothes and went to the garage. Jayden put a helmet on my head and wheeled the bike out.

"Come on, jump on it!" he winked at me.

I took a deep breath and got on the bike. I was scared beyond belief, but at the same time, I was excited to learn to ride. And I didn't want Jayden to think I was a coward.

"I'm ready."

"Okay, put your hands here." He began to assist me in positioning my hands and feet correctly. "The right hand is responsible for the front brake. By turning the handle here, you apply the gas. On the left are the clutch and turn signals." He crouched next to the bike. "The right foot is responsible for the rear brake. And you change gears with your left foot. Are you going to remember all of this?"

"Right hand—front brake and gas; right foot—rear brake; left hand—blinkers and... What was that? It was connecting something." I squinted, trying to think.

"The clutch, Savi." Jayden barely managed to stifle a giggle, but I could already tell, even just by his eyes, that he was on the verge of bursting into laughter.

"Okay. Not funny. Let's continue. Left foot—gear change. Ha! Aren't I good?"

"You're perfect. Now, look here." He pointed to the board. "Speedometer, tachometer. The rest of the details will be provided later. We will start with practicing starting and stopping."