Chapter Eight

"I, Savannah Wilson, take you, Dominic Lewis, to be my husband; my constant friend; my faithful partner in life, and my one true love. I promise to stay by your side as your faithful wife, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad ones. I promise to love you and cherish you until death do us apart."

"I, Dominic Lewis, take you, Savannah Wilson, to be my wife; my constant friend; my faithful partner in life, and my one true love. I promise to stay by your side as your faithful husband, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad ones. I promise to love you and cherish you until death do us apart."

I opened my eyes gradually, holding on to the image of Dominic standing beside me at the altar as we made our vows.

After a moment, reality hit me like a blow to the stomach. The painful truth was that Dominic's sweet words about faithfulness had been just that—words.

But then I recalled the handsome stranger I had spent the night with. Perhaps I hadn't been so unfortunate after all.

"Jayden?" I muttered softly, rubbing my eyes.

He wasn't within hearing distance, apparently.

I got out of bed. A pleasant aroma led me to the table. Along the way, I realized that I was wearing a man's white t-shirt rather than the clothes I had arrived in.

On the plate were two eggs on top of crumbled cheese and toasted bacon on the side. I sat down and grabbed a fork.

Either Jayden adores eggs, or that's all he can make, I thought, giggling and bringing a bite to my mouth. "Mm, they're still warm and so delicious," I muttered to myself, swallowing.

I didn't tend to eat first thing in the morning, but the food was so tasty that I dove right in.

After finishing my breakfast, I went into the bathroom to freshen up. A new, wrapped toothbrush was on the shelf above the sink.

My reflection in the mirror sported a pleased but slightly confused smile.

Had Jayden picked up that toothbrush for me? Had he expected me to spend another night in the caravan?

"No." I shook my head. The brush had probably been there before, but I hadn't noticed it. Or he just bought a new one for himself.

After the last thought, I chuckled again as I unwrapped the brush and started using it.

"And when did Jayden even manage to change me and move me to the bed?" I asked myself, looking down at his t-shirt, which I actually felt extremely comfortable in.

I couldn't sleep because of nightmares, but then I didn't even feel someone change my clothes? I shook my head as if disappointed in myself. But my not-much-discreet smile didn't leave my face while emerging from the bathroom to look around in search of Jayden.

He was sitting on a chair outside the caravan, a cup of coffee in one hand and a newspaper in the other.

"Good morning, stranger," I greeted him as I stood on the first step. I knew those would be his words, but I beat him to it this time.

The cool morning breeze told me that going outside barefoot and half-naked probably wasn't a good idea. Regardless, I kept standing there.

Jayden looked at me, put his cup on the table, and walked over to stand on the step below me. He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me into the air.

I hugged him tight for fear of falling. "Jayden! You're crazy," I shouted, laughing.

He stepped backward, still holding me in his arms. "Good morning, stranger." He ran one hand through my tousled hair, staring into my eyes. "How did you sleep?"