Chapter Eleven

The metal benches felt cold. The air was heavy. Worry, fear and despair floated in the waiting room. Doctors in white coats ran up and down the long corridors. Families stood staring at the clocks on the white walls. Others paced nervously from side to side or ran to the coffee machine for another dose of caffeine.

Minutes seemed like an eternity.

But it hadn't been more than an hour since Jayden and I had brought Evelyn to the emergency room.

"She's going to be okay," I told Jayden softly, placing my hand over his.

But how could I know if Evelyn was going to be okay? I could hope for it. I could pray that everything would be alright. But I had no way of knowing if that would be the case.

Yet, I had to say something.

Jayden didn't reply. He just looked at me with his kind eyes and nodded uncertainly. Then he continued to watch the passing doctors, hoping that one of them would be the one to bring us information.

"Do you want me to get you something from the machine?" I asked him after several minutes of silence.

"No, thanks," he replied shortly.

Silence ensued.

"Good afternoon. Are you with Evelyn?" A doctor finally approached us.

Jayden stood up. "Yes."

"She is already conscious. We did tests, a scan, and nuclear magnetic resonance. We expect the results soon. You may see her now."

The doctor pointed us to the room.

Evelyn was lying in the hospital bed. She tried to smile after seeing us, but her smile quickly sagged. Her face was pale. Her usually cheerful eyes now looked haggard.

Jayden walked over, took her hand, and kissed her forehead.

"My boy." She stroked his face.

I approached the bed. "How are you, Evelyn?"

Stupid again. What kind of question was that? She didn't look well at all.

"I'm a little dizzy. It's probably the worries and stress that are taking their toll."

"Doctors will soon receive the results of the tests. Has this ever happened to you before, Evelyn?"

Jayden's question went unanswered.

"I'm fine, my boy. Don't worry." Evelyn took his hand again. "However, I suppose the doctors will keep me in the hospital for a few days, so now go. No need to stay here. And Jayden, I'll have to ask you to watch over the motel while I'm here."

"Do you think I would leave you here alone?"

"Evelyn," I interjected. "If you don't mind, I can take care of the motel."

"I can't ask you for that, Savi."

"You're not asking me. I offer it." I insisted.

"Okay. Thank you! I will repay you!"

"Don't think about that, Evelyn. You need a rest now. We'll be expecting you back very soon."

Jayden put his hand on my back. "Ev, I'll take Savi to town and come back again. I hope the results are out by then. It's probably nothing serious, and who knows, you might be discharged tomorrow." A small smile accompanied his words—a fake one, but a smile, nonetheless.

I said goodbye to Evelyn. Jayden drove me to the motel and immediately returned to the hospital.

I took a quick shower, changed my formal pants for jeans, tied my hair in a high ponytail, and went to the reception.