Chapter Twenty-Five

"Help, please!" I shouted to the paramedics who were running towards us. "He's not breathing! I tried... I tried... but he is not breathing. Make him breathe!"

The paramedics immediately put Jayden on a stretcher and lifted him into the ambulance.

 "Pulse is weak. The oxygen saturation level is low." I could barely hear them talking to each other.

One of the paramedics put an oxygen mask over Jayden's face, and the other came over to me. "Come with us; we need to examine you, Miss."

"I... I'm fine," I replied. But I got into the ambulance and sat on the bench next to Jayden.

The paramedic draped a blanket over my shoulders. "Were you exposed to the smoke?"

"Yes... but only for a little while. I am fine. Is he... is he breathing?"

The paramedic put a mask on my face as well. "Breathe and take it easy."

He measured my blood pressure, heart rate, and saturation. He did auscultation. After making sure the readings were good, he turned to the other paramedic and the screen above Jayden's bed.

"How is he? Is he going to be okay?" I kept asking.

"Don't remove the mask, madam. We'll be at the ER in a few minutes. The doctors will take care of your friend."

"But he is alive. Right? Is he alive?"

"There are vital signs, albeit weak."

"Please save him! Please! Please! Please!"

"Breathe, lady."

"I cannot. I cannot."

"Please, lie down."

The paramedic laid me down on the bench, attached electrodes to my chest, and began monitoring the screen of the portable machine.

After doing the EKG test, he helped me stand up again.

"It's okay," the paramedic said calmly, putting the device away. Then he gave me a pill. "It will help you get over the shock."

We arrived at the hospital a few minutes later.

They put Jayden in the emergency room and led me to a room on another floor. An orderly gave me a hospital nightgown, and doctors started doing exams and tests, regardless that I kept telling them I was okay.

After about an hour of not knowing what was happening with Jayden, a doctor came to see me.

"Good afternoon, Mrs."—he looked down at the tablet he was holding—"Mrs. Lewis. I'm Dr. Said. Your tests are back. Everything looks fine. You'll stay under observation tonight, and if all goes well, we'll discharge you tomorrow."

"Doctor, tell me how the man I came with is doing! Jayden. Jayden Hill."

"He's in the ER. A team of specialists is taking care of him."

"But how is he? Is he okay?"

"We'll be able to give you more information when we have it. For now, please, take it easy."

Take it easy?

How the hell was I supposed to do that?

I got out of bed as soon as Dr. Said left the room. I started walking down the long hallway.

Empty. Spooky. Depressing.

Fluorescent lights glowed brightly and reflected off the shiny white tiles on the floor.

I looked left and right at unmarked doors on either side of me.

It was quiet—from that frightening, chilling silence. Every step I took left behind a soft, creepy sound.