Bind runes

Draped over a still sleeping Bucky with Steve on his side on their left and Loki on their right, Katherine keeps her eyes closed as she quietly listens to the steady heartbeat of the man underneath her. The soothing rhythm thump, thumping away reminds her that she's alive. Something that hadn't been true a little over a week ago. Like it does every time Kat thinks that, a sharp pain lances through the newly healed muscle pumping in her chest. The wounds from every bullet had seamlessly healed. Not even leaving behind any scars. But the feeling of all of those bullets ripping through her body didn't go away. It's why she can't sleep. Because every time she closed her eyes and allowed herself to drift off, Katherine would end up back on that street in Seattle riddled with bullets. Dying in Steve's arms again and again on a loop as she stared up into his devastated eyes.

Sensing her unease, Buck's arms wrap tighter around her in his sleep as he shifts a little. As if he could hug away the mental and lingering physical pain that continued to haunt her. They all did it. Whoever managed to be her teddy at bedtime would wrap her up tight in their arms and hold her all night trying to comfort both her and themselves. It mostly worked when Katherine was awake. Not so much while she was asleep though. So when she inevitably woke up Katherine would bite back her gasp and sink into her men's hold, slowly relaxing one tense muscle at a time. Staying awake she would stare out the large windows while they slept on until the sun rose waking them for the day. Then Kat would close her eyes and pretend to 'wake up' before disappearing for her morning routine. But not this morning.

This morning she waited until Bucky's subconscious mind settled back into a deeper part of sleep before teleporting to the bathroom. Katherine had plans and in order to get them done she needed some privacy. So after using the bathroom and brushing her teeth she again teleports. This time to her closet to get dressed. Even though the weather was turning hot Kat layered up in dark jeans, one of Steve’s white t-shirts and Bucky’s leather jacket over a hoodie. Finishing off her outfit with the brand new boots that replaced the blood stained pair that got ruined when she died. Lastly Kat slipped several necklaces with round plain medallions of thinly beaten silver over her head to rest between her breasts. Patting them reassuringly, she lets out a breath. These were a part of her plan. The necklaces not the boots.

Silver is the best conductor for magic. And as such when Kat had read up on bind runes and the spell to imbue them with magic she chose silver so that they did as the rune engraved said. Having found out her mutant powers were mixed with magic hadn't really been a surprise for her. There had always been something undefinable about what she could do. And now that she knew, it all made sense. As did the fact that the spells she's been soaking up from Loki's books could focus her power. It made it so that when using those spells it was like what Thor's hammer did for him. Mjolnir was a focal point for the god of Thunder. A way for him to channel his lightning so that it didn't get out of control. This spell Katherine was going to attempt would channel the intent she was hoping to pour into these medallions.

Protection.

Not for herself but for those she cared about. One for her brother of course. One for Savannah, Bucky, Loki, Steve and one for all the others on the team as well. Katherine's reasoning for this was, if she was able to die and come back to life then she needed to do whatever she could do to help those around her that couldn't. Now as for why she wasn't taking Loki along with her on this magical field trip? Kat wanted to try this out on her own without a babysitter. Over the last week Loki had shown her how to do some simple spells just so she could get the hang of them. But she really didn't want any witnesses should she fail or anything go wrong. As new as this relationship was, the god had come to mean a great deal to her in such a short amount of time. So him getting hurt because of her would only upset her which was a mind twister seeing as she hated him not that long ago.