Will you still love me?

Wei WuXian surprisingly woke up before Lan WangJi the next day. He was greeted with the sight of the sleeping jade, looking ever so peaceful. But oh...

His eyes...they were puffy...

Lan WangJi, his Lan Zhan, his heart, his dearest had cried last night.

Wei WuXian was beyond horrified. It was rare in itself that Lan WangJi had cried. But not only did he cry last night, his eyes were puffy and a bit red at the edges of the closed eyes.

'He must have cried after I slept. What the fuck? How did I even...what kind of a failure of a lover am I to not notice it?'

Wei WuXian had always been self berating in every opportunity he got. Which was something Lan WangJi tried to get rid of off him, reassuring so much that whatever happened in the past was not his fault.

Yet he still blamed himself, for everything, for the massacre of the YunmengJiang sect, for breaking Jiang Cheng's promise, for the death of Jin ZiXuan, for the death of his Shijie, for the fact that Jin Ling grew up without his parents, for the death of the Wen remnants, for the death of all those cultivators in the Nightless City and....for the scars on Lan WangJi's back.

Oh how he wished he couldv'e taken Lan WangJi's place when he was being punished.

Those scars ruined his perfect body, his jade skin marred with criss cross brutal marks. The marks that proved his love for Wei WuXian. The marks that are testimony to how much he would give just for the love of his life.

'How did I even get someone like you...Lan Zhan...how could you fall in love with someone like me?' Wei WuXian thought, his own eyes tearing at the aching of his heart.

Wei WuXian was so lost in thought he didn't notice the golden eyes fluttering open and wide with panic as he saw tears in those wonderous silver eyes.

"Wei Ying." he called panicked, but softly. Slowly he kissed both of Wei WuXian's smoky eyelids.

"What happened?"

"You tell me." Wei WuXian's voice came out hoarse, "Why did you cry so much last night?"

Lan WangJi stiffened alarmingly. "You- you heard-"

"No" Wei WuXian cut him off. "Your eyes, they are bloodshot red."

Lan WangJi then zoned out a bit, then his ears flushed a deep red, "Sorry." he muttered.

Wei WuXian glared at him,"You told me there is no need for 'thank you' and 'I am sorry' between us. So instead of apologising, mind telling me what happened? I would personally go murder the person who made you cry like this." he grumbled.

Lan WangJi chuckled, "Wei Ying, it was nothing. Just a bad dream..." his eyes turned distant, " A very, very bad dream." his voice sounded so...what? What was the emotion in his voice. No, it wasn't one emotion, there were too many to count.

"Lan Zhan?"
"Mn."
"Is something wrong?"
Lan WangJi smiled warmly, then kissed Wei WuXian's nose, "Nothing. Truly."

Noon approached soon. Wei WuXian had some free time so he went to spent it with the bunnies. Surprisingly, Lan WangJi was there too, seemingly stroking them, eyes unfocused. He looked...lost.

"Lan Zhan." Wei WuXian called, trying to sound as cheerful as possible.

Lan WangJi snapped his head towards Wei WuXian and then smiled widely, "Wei Ying."

Wei WuXian laughed, "You are smiling and laughing a lot these days."

"Mn, happy."
"Happy? With life and all?"
"Mn."
"Love you."
"Love Wei Ying."

They looked at each other, the love in their eyes so strong, one could never doubt it. Wei WuXian preesed on his heels and slowly kissed Lan WangJi, gently, lovingly.

Lan WangJi responded just as gentle and lovingly. When they parted they had eyes only for each other.

Suddenly Lan WangJi turned around slightly and started humming, his voice beautiful and deep.

The tune was lovely. So peaceful. Wei WuXian listened intently, still shocked by his husband's sudden action.

Then all of a sudden Lan WangJi started singing.

"Will you still love me when I am no longer young and beautiful? Will you still love me when I've got nothing but my aching soul?"
Wei WuXian flinched at the lines. 'Lan Zhan-'

Then Lan WangJi turned around and laughed, but it was so broken and full of sorrow, Wei WuXian saw himself in that laugh.

He did not want to see himself in anyone else, much less Lan WangJi.

"I know you will, I know you will, I know that you will."

At this point tears glistened in the golden eyes, threatening to spill. He was still smiling, but it looked hauntingly sad. The hurt in his eyes was so visible, the smile on his lips radiated pain, but oh he looked so ethereal.

"Will you still love me when I'm no longer beautiful?"

Silver droplets of water rolled down Lan WangJi's cheeks, his hair and robes fluttering in the wind, he looked like an elf but that elf had so much inside his heart.

Wei WuXian looked, unable to produce any words. Then he hurriedly ran to Lan WangJi, hugging him tightly.

"What..." his breathing hitched and voice broke. Tears brimmed from his eyes, "What happened Lan Zhan? "