The white jade's black past- Part 1

Lan WangJi, Wei WuXian, Lan XiChen and Lan QiRen sat in the MingShi, in case of any emergency. Lan QiRen didn't like the idea of using Empathy as it is a dangerous technique, and believe it or not, he does care about Wei WuXian's safety, and of course Lan WangJi's as well.

So he proposed to do it in the MingShi in case any emergency happens.

Wei WuXian himself did not want to do this at all. By the looks of the situation, Lan WangJi's past was not too pleasant. If anything he just wanted to make the Jade forget about it as much as possible.

After all, he was a victim of cruel past as well. He knew how it felt to be a pawn of painful events.

As much as he wantes to cocoon Lan WangJi in his arms and pepper his face with kisses and sweet affection to make him drift away from the situation, he could not.

Wei WuXian's life was on the line. He could not ignore it.

Lan WangJi was a nervous wreck though his face was as stoic and calm as ever.

He never wanted others to know the parts of his life that Wei WuXian has to see to know the truth.

Lan WangJi was spiralling in his own thoughts, when Wei WuXian spoke, "Lan Zhan, are you ready?"

Lan WangJi hesitated before answering a small 'Mn'.

"Alright, I will start the Empathy then. XiChen-ge, Shufu, if something happens, please pull us out of the Empathy as soon as possible." Wei WuXian instructed as he got ready to use Empathy.

"Alright. Be careful, WuXian." Lan XiChen told softly, his voice tinted with worry for both.

Lan QiRen was silently observing. He was worried about just what dreadful past hoa nephew. 'It cannot be that bad right? If so we would have known. But he did not tell us even about such a life threatening situation. What else did he hide...?'

Lan Qiren hoped with all his heart that one of the nectars of his affection had not suffered too greatly. 'Maybe it is not that severe. Maybe I am just overthinking.'

Oh how wrong he was.

Oh how false his hope was.

Wei WuXian started his Empathy, closing his eyes as both Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian's body slumped.

Lan XiChen caught Wei WuXian, while Lan QiRen caught Lan WangJi and placed them on the ground softly. And waited with batted breath as the Empathy went on.

*Empathy*

Wei WuXian woke up and he was greeted with the site of heavy snow all around him. He took a look across his surroundings. Then he saw a cottage close by. And in front of that cottage was a boy, dressed in clad white. He was kneeling in front of the door.

Wei WuXian approached the lad and then he hears it.

Soft whimpers and sobs.

They were so quiet one might think they heard it wrong.

Wei WuXian took a closer look to the boy and was stunned enough to have left with no words.

The boy had golden eyes, which were brimming with salty water. Tears streaked down his slightly pink chubby cheeks and his small hands were clutched into tiny fists which were clutching his robes tightly. Wei WuXian would have found him extremely cute in better circumstances.

But right now was none of those better circumstances.

There is one person in the entire world who has those golden eyes.

Lan WangJi.

"A-Zhan."

Wei WuXian heard a soft call come from behind. He turned around to see another boy who looked just like Lan WangJi, except his orbs were almond and he looked slightly older. He had a sad expression on his face.

Slowly he walked towards Lan WangJi. Then he kneeled beside the lad and put his hands on the smaller ones.
"Didi, you will catch a cold if you stay here for so long."

Wei WuXian immediately understood that the other boy is Lan XiChen.

He looked slightly older than Lan WangJi but no less cute. His eyes expressed concern and immense love for his younger brother.

Wei WuXian understood that love all too well.

After all, the reason why he chose the crooked path was because he gave up the strength to pursue the straight path for his former brother.

Lan WangJi was still crying. He said in between whimpers, "Not leaving until mother lets me in."

Lan XiChen's face turned even more pained. Of course, even he was a child buy most of all he understood, that his mother would never let him.

His mother would not never come out of that house. No one would come of a house which didn't have an alive soul.

"Didi, mother will not come out. She's..." Lan XiChen didn't know how to explain to his younger brother who was still too young.

"Why, dada? Why wouldn't she let us in? What did we do? What mistake did I make?" he asked while still crying, "I will take punishment for my mistake... I will copy the rules as many times as mother wants. I just want her to see me so I can at least apologise and know my mistake. Is that too much to ask dada? Am I supposed to understand on my own? I do not know, I cannot remember what I did to make her this angry... Dada..." he asked with such sadness tears welled up in Lan XiChen's eyes.

He hugged Lan WangJi tightly, "A-Zhan, at least come have lunch. It's late, you will fall sick my didi. Be well, for me, please?"

Lan WangJi sniffed. He loved his brother like his next breath. He loved his brother like he loved his mother. So he complied with XiChen's request.

"Mother, I will come back after lunch. Please let me in when I am back." he bowed to the cottage and wiped his tears. Then he held XiChen's hand as he headed back to have lunch, though he was not in the mood for eating nor resting. He could not fall ill. Because he still had his brother and uncle, who cared for him.

Lan WangJi refused to make it any more difficult for them than it is to bring him up, feed him healthy and give him education. He refused to burden his family further.

Wei WuXian's heart pained as Lan WangJi's thoughts swirled in his mind gradually. He knew this feeling, not wanting to burden his family.

He was in constant fear of this exact same thought while he lived in Lotus Pier. To not burden and shame the Jiang Sect.

The memory went on and for months Lan WangJi continued to come in front of the cottage and kneel here for hours. He cried and cried for his mother to open the door, but to no avail.

That door was closed everytime, and never will it open.

Lan XiChen tried to explain what happened to his mother to Lan WangJi in simple terms but the younger lad was as stubborn as a pillar.

This continued for a year. Wei WuXian saw the rest of the memories in a fast blur.

Lan WangJi was adamant on getting his mother's forgiveness. Until one day, the dreadful event happened and his quiet life turned upside down.

Somehow things got even more worse for the lad. And that is the time, Lan WangJi understood what happened to his mother. He understood death.

Wei WuXian gasped loudly.

'Lan Zhan...'