The Strategist

Author's Note: Okay, so I don't love this chapter by any means. I would love to get to the romance part of this story, but please remember that this is a slow-burn story. I need chapters like these to build up the characters and their motivations. For example, (Y/n) is motivated extremely by helping people and trying to understand them. It's unclear (for now) the scope of what Jack is motivated by, but he seems to be motivated by curiosity and (Y/n)'s generosity, because it is something that he has never experienced before meeting and observing her. Please keep in mind that chapters like this are necessary for character development and plot!!! It will get to a point where it is much faster paced, I PROMISE.

An overwhelming sense of shock and fear bubbled inside of the girl. The same masked figure she had seen within the reflection of her car window had not been a figment of imagination, after all; though, this raised far more questions than answers. Lifting her shakey arms up to her face, (Y/n) covered her mouth with both hands in order to prevent any further cries from escaping her. She could feel herself beginning to panic yet again, but knew it would be an annoyance and hindrance to her kidnapper to calm her down for another time. The last thing I want to do is make him mad. Who knows what he's capable of? I need to find out more information so I can get out of here. So, for now, I will shove my feelings down.

Steadily moving her hands from her lips to wipe away remaining tears, (Y/n) finally figured she should speak. After all, this game of who will break eye contact first had been going on for several minutes now. Clearing her throat and licking her chapped lips, (Y/n) nervously spoke.

"H-hi. My name is (Y/n). It's finally nice to meet you." As if he were a dog, the man looking down at her, yet again, turned his head to the side, as if he was... examining her. Patiently awaiting his response, (Y/n) continued to stare directly at him. Although she couldn't be certain (as his mask blocked her vision of his face) she was convinced that they were making eye contact. It almost seemed as though the man was waiting for her to crack. Jokes on him, the girl thought. I refuse to do so. Several more minutes passed, leaving (Y/n) unconfirmed as to what she should do. One thing was for sure, though, and that was that she was unwilling to allow herself to be scared into breaking their eye contact. The man unexpectedly let out a large sigh, startling the girl and causing her to jump slightly. The criminal looked at the woman one last time before slowly walking away into the darkness. The girl couldn't help but let out a cry of frustration.

"W-wait!" Though she could barely see his outline, (Y/n) knew he had stopped without turning back around. "Please don't leave. At least tell me your name." The figure stood in place, seeming almost as unwilling as she to give up any sort of control. Eyes slowly lowering back to the ground in front of her, (Y/n) knew he would not respond. Heavy footsteps continued to walk away from her, when they suddenly stopped before heading back to the girl. Tension and worry filled her system as she met the eyes of the man yet again. Slowly glancing down at his gloved hands, (Y/n) observed the bottled water and sandwich on a plate that he was carrying. Despite her watering mouth, (Y/n) jolted back in a panic as the man bent down in order to set the items on the ground in front of her. (Y/n) eyed the sandwich handsomely. She was unsure as to how long she had been in this basement, but her stomach told her that it had been a while. To her surprise and dismay, it seemed as though the man had decided to stay squatting on the ground while continuing to maintain eye contact. What exactly does he want? Curse these chains for not being long. The staring contest continued between the two for several more minutes, with (Y/n) being not even 6 feet away from him due to the short length of the chains that held her captive. Abruptly, the man began to speak.

"I will tell you my name... if you can tell me the ultimate reason why you want to live." Without warning, the man stood quickly, spun around, and left through what seemed to be a heavy metal door. A cold sweat broke out while (Y/n) began letting out the tears she so forcefully choked down in front of her captor. It was so difficult to keep calm in the face of evil... and what is even with that question he asked me? What the hell does he even want? A gurgling stomach halted (Y/n)'s thought process, however. She needed to eat and think of everything else later.

*6 Hours Later*

(Y/n) could not tell whether it was day or night; there was simply no sense of time within her new dark home. Boredom, tiredness, and hunger once again lurked within her being. She refused to fall asleep, as she was unaware of what would happen when she finally did go to sleep. What if he attacks or kills me? She knew it was impractical to think this way. After all, wouldn't he have killed her already when she was knocked out before? The logic behind not sleeping was pretty silly when she really thought about it, but she was still terrified at every question she did not have an answer to. Staring up at the ceiling, the girl laid on her back and began to ponder the question her intruder had asked earlier. What IS my reason to live? I have many, so how could I possibly pick a singular one? Is he looking for a specific answer?

Before she could continue brainstorming, the metal door swung open and then closed. Quickly scattering herself up to her feet, she yelped in pain as she crippled back to the floor. It was clear that she had not stood in days. The girl had not realized how asleep her legs truly were and, in a panic, stood up out of fear. Tears pricked her eyes as she stared at the man before her, with a sandwich and another bottled water in each hand. He set them down in front of her, picking up her old plate and empty bottle afterwards, and then turning around to leave.

"Wait! Please, tell me your name?" The girl stared at the man in suspense, waiting and hoping for an answer this time. The man stopped in his tracks without turning around, and once again responded with the same question.

"What is your ultimate reason for wanting to live?" Silence filled the air around them, so much so that a pin could be heard if dropped. After several minutes just like that, the man continued to walk forward until reaching the door and leaving.

Furrowing her brows, (Y/n) picked up the sandwich and began eating. I don't want to give him an answer he doesn't like, but how am I going to figure out any information at this rate?

Although she was far from satisfied with what she had found, she knew she needed to look out for her own wellbeing, otherwise productivity would not be possible. So, settling for less than desired, (Y/n) decided to allow sleep to consume her finally after a difficult day. Tomorrow would be a harder battle. Tomorrow... I WILL find a way out of here.