The Eluder

"So... maybe going downtown to a public area wasn't the best idea." (Y/n) grinned while looking over at Jack. They had been back on the road again for a couple hours, and were currently driving down another country road, attempting to find another shelter they could stay in. (Y/n) had been relieved for the interruption that the construction workers had caused, mostly because it had saved her from the deeper conversation with Jack about her own feelings. Although it was inevitable, (Y/n) preferred to wait just a little longer for when she might be more confident in her answer. Truthfully, she couldn't say anything with certainty at this point, because she had never loved anyone besides her parents. Because that had ended with such heartbreak and tragedy, she was afraid to put a label on anything regarding her feelings.

What if I do admit to myself that I feel love for Jack and then the same tragedy repeats itself? Looking over at the man driving, (Y/n) widely smiled as she processed the sight before her. Jack was singing the lyrics to the song playing on the radio ever so quietly, looking over at (Y/n) before halting his words. With a giggle, (Y/n) turned up the radio before saying to Jack, "Don't stop on my account. Come on, let's sing it together." Jack smiled back at her, before they both proceeded to dramatically and loudly sing together throughout the rest of their journey.

* 7:00 PM*

(Y/n) knitted her brows in confusion as she began to take her seatbelt off, looking to Jack for answers. "Umm... I thought the point of breaking and entering was so we could keep a low profile." Jack parked the car, taking his own seatbelt off before sighing and responding.

"I know, but we haven't found anywhere that's isolated enough or abandoned to stay. I'm not going to end a life for one, either." (Y/n) looked at him, feeling taken aback with his words. Maybe he doesn't even realize it, but... he's changed. Slowly, a large grin plastered itself on (Y/n)'s face, before she turned away so he couldn't see. As they got out of the car, Jack continued to speak. "Besides, I have plenty of cash and this should only be for tonight. I need you to go in and pay for obvious reasons." Jack looked at (Y/n) while gesturing towards his mask. The girl nodded in understanding, taking the cash before entering the motel office.

Approaching the man behind the desk, the woman looked around at the various odd animal heads plastered on the walls. I'm getting a huge Bates Motel vibe... Giving the old man before her a quick smile, she held out the cash to him. "Hi. I'm looking to get a room for the night." The man looked at her disinterested, before taking the money and nodding, handing her a key from behind him. The girl looked at him awkwardly, before turning away and saying a quick thank you. Once outside, she gave Jack the nod of approval before handing him the key.

"Room 9? Perfect. Get your blanket and book and I'll get the backpack." (Y/n) nodded, before grabbing her things and following Jack to the room. As they entered the room, the two stared incredulously at the state of it. It was the smallest possible room, with an even tinier bathroom connected that was filthy. The two looked at one another, before reluctantly shutting the door and locking it behind them. "Well, this'll have to do." (Y/n) nodded, shivering and seeing her breath in the cold.

"Has this place ever heard of heat?" Jack chuckled at her joke, the pair both getting underneath the covers of the bed. (Y/n) found the remote and decided to flip on the TV. Flipping through the channels with a bored expression on her face, Jack watched along with her. She let out a frustrated sigh before finally landing on a news channel. "I've never much liked TV anyways, I'll just keep it here." The woman then got up to use the bathroom, shutting the door behind her as Jack continued to watch the channel boreally.

"Tonight, we'll be once again appealing to the public on the missing person case of (Y/n) (L/n)." Jack's heart raced as he sat up straighter, continuing to watch. "Police still don't have any clues as to the whereabouts of (Y/n). Her coworkers are demanding answers after she didn't show up for her shift with no communication as to why, prompting concern for her wellbeing. We will be showing a press conference that aired earlier this week, featuring her coworker, Matthew." Jack's eyes widened as the press conference was shown. Matthew was speaking, leaning into the microphone on the podium.

"Please, if anyone has answers as to where (Y/n) is, come forward. She is a beautiful soul and doesn't deserve this. If you have any humanity left in you, please bring her home safely. We miss you so much (Y/n). If you can hear me, we are still looking for-" Jack immediately changed the channel, trying to calm his breathing and heart rate. (Y/n) came out of the bathroom seconds later, plopping back into bed with Jack.

"Oh, you want to watch cartoons, huh? I'm down with it." Jack, remaining speechless, shut the TV off and placed the remote next to his nightstand.

"Actually, I'm really tired. Can we go to sleep?" (Y/n) looked at Jack, sensing something wrong, but nodding, nonetheless. The two shut the lights off and Jack turned over, feeling guilt and anger poisoning him from the inside out.