The Wretched

It had been two weeks since her awkward encounter with Jack in the middle of the night, and not only had they not spoken during that time, they also weren't any closer to figuring out the truth behind their missing memories. (Y/n) wasn't oblivious to the guilt-ridden stares of those around her. It was more than obvious that they all knew something that herself and Jack didn't. During this separation between her and Jack, (Y/n) found herself extremely occupied with her training schedule and familiarizing herself with the workings of the mansion. Mainly, it seemed that her main job was to lure other humans into joining the team to assist with missions involving a potential group of assassins --- as Toby had put it, being human made (Y/n) more trustworthy. (Y/n) hated the prospect of manipulating fellow human beings into joining a world of death and darkness, but it was do or die; (Y/n)'s conscience would certainly suffer in the long run without a doubt. Or, so they thought...

Though the girl didn't know precisely what was going on, she knew damn well she didn't want any part of it. She had begun to notice voices in her head and strange drawings she had done in her sleep. So, after a mere 14 days of being recruited at the mansion, (Y/n) had hopes of escaping; resources being scarce and little to no knowledge of her past served only as hurdles, however. Nevertheless, it was a risk she was willing to take. If it was between taking advantage of others and subjecting them to a life of murderous and sadistic tendencies, or risking death and torture to escape, (Y/n) was going to choose the latter.

Today was her second to last day of training. Looking at the paper schedule posted on the refrigerator, (Y/n) found it to be no surprise that her and Jack were finally paired up. Coincidence that he's my last training partner? I think not. (Y/n) sighed while walking away, rubbing her temples as she felt her nerves begin to eat her alive. A sudden collision was made, one in which (Y/n) found herself falling to the ground before being caught. "I'm so-" Jack and (Y/n)'s eyes met as he held her, causing (Y/n)'s heart to pound in her chest. Once again standing up straight, the girl awkwardly scratched her head. "I'm sorry about that."

Jack remained silent momentarily, narrowing his eyes at the woman from behind his mask. Glancing at the paper on the wall behind (Y/n), Jack found himself squeezing his eyes shut tight as he inwardly groaned. Of course. I knew this would happen sooner or later, but does it really need to be this soon? Lightly grabbing her arm, he began to pull the unsuspecting girl towards his infirmary, before unlocking the door and shutting it behind them. "Let's address the elephant in the room," Jack said as he paced, staring at the floor. "Our last conversation was... fucking weird, to say the least."

(Y/n) gulped as she digested Jack's words. What could be said at this point when neither of them were any closer to the truth? Leaning up against his desk, the woman was speechless at how to respond. Sniffing the air, the woman marveled at the delicious scent presenting itself to her. Looking to her right, she observed a pot of coffee freshly brewed, with Jack pouring another cup. Taking a sip out of the steaming hot cup, Jack nearly spit out his drink as he made eye contact with the girl. "Umm... would you like some?"

(Y/n) stared back at Jack, feeling guilty at her outwardly open want for coffee. "Oh, umm... if it wouldn't be too much trouble." The woman bashfully accepted the cup that Jack had poured for her. She didn't have the heart to tell the man that she actually hated black coffee, so she grimaced as she forced herself to take a sip. (Y/n) sighed in contentment as the hot beverage went down her dry throat, before leaning up against the desk and looking at Jack. "Yeah, our last conversation wasn't entirely too pleasant, was it?" Jack simply stared at the ground, feeling a strange sense of relief at the girl's validation for his feelings. Before he could respond, (Y/n) continued. "Look, I'm not sure what our relationship used to be, but I get the sense that it was deeper than a friendship." When Jack refused to respond, (Y/n) felt her reddened cheeks as she continued. "Don't make me say it, Jack! I... I think I had feelings for you."