The Sightseer

After 2 more hours of driving in the opposite direction of the mansion, they finally got off the highway and began driving in a more populated city area. As (Y/n) observed the beautiful buildings and scenery around them, she couldn't help but feel confused. After all, during their first attempt to find a place to stay, Jack had purposefully aimed for somewhere that was desolate. Why was now different?

Deciding to speak her mind, (Y/n) asked what was on her mind. "Uhh, Jack? Don't you want to be in a... less crowded and populated place? I mean, with your mask and all, it'll be even harder to stay covert.

"Well, you're not wrong, but that's a large reason why this is also the perfect place to hide out. They won't really suspect it." (Y/n) hummed in understanding. "I'll just put my hoodie up when we start walking around. This isn't exactly the most luxurious city either, so it's likely there will be some type of construction site or abandoned building."

As they continued driving, sure enough, they found exactly that. In between a pizza place and an old apartment building, there was a building under construction with tons of insolation, making a perfect hideout spot. Since the weather was now getting colder and colder and it had begun to snow, staying warm was essential. Jack could live without warmness, but he knew that (Y/n) could not, leading him to make that a priority for their hideouts. As they parked behind the building and got out of the car, Jack was the first to speak. "Well, this will have to do. Let's hope nobody finds us in here." (Y/n) nodded in agreeance, before climbing a fire escape ladder that was connected to the back of the building, Jack following closely behind. As they broke in through the window on the second floor it was connected to, they looked around and noticed various tools and pieces of cut up material that were left scattered.

"Home sweet home, I guess," (Y/n) said amusedly. Walking down the stairs to the bottom floor, they both were surprised to find a couch in the middle, though it was even more worn down and dusty than the last, presumably due to the construction. "Alright, well that's random. Good for us, though." Jack wordlessly nodded. That's odd, he's being awfully quiet all of a sudden. Turning towards Jack after putting the book and blanket onto the large couch, she finally inquired on his mood. "Everything okay?"

As if he were in a daze, Jack snapped out of it immediately. "Hmm?"

"I asked if everything was okay. You've been really quiet ever since we left the gas station."

"Oh, I'm fine. Thanks for asking." (Y/n) gave Jack a confused look. Quite honestly, she was tired of hearing the lies he told regarding himself. It was almost as if he felt his feelings and thoughts didn't matter. So far, the only type of success (Y/n) had gotten in getting Jack to open up had been through the game of truth or dare they played. That, and the time he had passed out and she had been by his side. Refusing to yield that easily to his stubborn ways, she plopped herself down on the couch, patting the seat next to her. Jack obliged, sitting on the opposite side of the couch, confusing (Y/n) even further. That's weird. I know it's a large couch, but I mean... he's avoiding me like the plague. Does this have to do with last night? But I thought we ended it on a good note. As Jack stared at every detail of the couch, obviously avoiding eye contact extensively, (Y/n) decided to say the one thing she knew to say.

"Hey, Jack?" As he finally met her eyeline, (Y/n) smiled with mischief. "Truth or dare?"

Author's Note: My Jeff the Killer story, Fatalities, is out now! Please follow me/add the story to your library to support me!!! I'm uploading tonight and tomorrow, with the normal uploading schedule being every Friday.