The Grouch

"(Y/n). (Y/n)." The woman groaned as she turned over, ignoring the annoying voice trying to wake her from her slumber. "(Y/n), you need to wake up." Shaking interrupted her sleep as she heavily exhaled and rubbed her crusty eyes before looking over at the annoyance that had made her feel grumpy. She saw Jack standing over her with a grin on his face.

As the girl sat up in bed and continued to rub her eyes, she responded snappily, "Does it bring you such joy to see me in my morning state?" Jack laughed loudly as he turned away, trying not to make her anymore upset than she already clearly was. She's so cute, no matter what time of day.

After successfully composing himself, he turned back and answered her question. "I'm sorry, but we do need to hit the road." (Y/n) groaned as she leaned back into the bed, rubbing her head and eyes more, before finally developing enough energy to stand up. As the two did one finally sweep of the home, ensuring they weren't leaving anything behind, (Y/n) grabbed the No Longer Human book with a smile, before going out the door and meeting Jack at the car. It was 8:29 AM, per the radio clock within the car. (Y/n) got into the passenger's seat after wrapping herself in the blanket she had stolen from the house. As Jack began to drive away, he explained the plan to (Y/n) more thoroughly than before. "So, first things first, we need to get a new car. I know it's broad daylight and it's not ideal to do it now, but we have no choice since we're running out of gas."

(Y/n) looked over at Jack with a confused look on her face, before asking, "Can't we just get gas instead, so we don't have to go through all the trouble?"

"It's not that we couldn't do that, it's just that we can't let them find us."

"Who's they? Your roommates?"

Jack exhaled, "I suppose you could say that." (Y/n) rested her right arm on the window, thinking through what that would mean. Of course, she had remembered Jack saying something about him being the best thing compared to "what was out there" when they were at the mansion still, but she hadn't quite comprehended the full extent of what he meant --- that is, until she had encountered Jeff.

"Are the rest like Jeff?" She looked over at Jack and could tell he was giving some thought before he answered.

"Not exactly. If you're asking me if there are some who are worse than he is or equal to, then yes there are a couple. I'm mainly worried about... I guess you could call him, my boss."

"What is he like, if you don't mind me asking?" Jack debated in his mind how much to explain. It's very complicated and I just don't think she would understand... I'll just explain the basics.

"Umm, you could say that he's quiet, reserved, mysterious. When he wants something, he gets it. Since we're all his underlings and I'm on the run with you, he's undoubtably furious about that. He definitely is going to want me back." Jack paused, and (Y/n) could tell he was hesitant to add the rest. "And I can't let you get caught. That's my main concern." (Y/n) thought through the information she was just given. Last night had been turmoil, between Jack about to tell her he loved her and then him taking it back immediately. (Y/n) wasn't sure what to believe at this point in time, she only knew she was frustrated and puzzled at the same time. Getting mixed signals wasn't something anyone wanted, regardless of how they felt. But, how did she feel? (Y/n) couldn't comprehend that at the moment, which was strange since she was normally excellent at it. Additionally, Jack was continuing to give her the mixed signals, saying things like he didn't want her to get caught, and listening to her input when she told him how he felt. He was in no way obligated to do so, since he was her kidnapper, after all.

Coming back to reality, (Y/n) decided to ask the question currently looming over her. "And? What would happen if I get caught?" Jack opted to stay silent, not wanting to elaborate any further. Upon looking beside him, though, he noticed she was still looking at him, determined to receive an answer. So, he decided to lightly oblige.

"I don't really know, but I know it wouldn't be anything good. Put it this way, it would probably be way worse than my fate, and I couldn't do anything about it. He's a dangerous and powerful man, (Y/n), and that's all you need to know." (Y/n) felt a looming fear taking over her body, as she held the blanket wrapped around her tighter, attempting to calm the shivers down.

As the two arrived at another gas station, (Y/n) observed her surroundings. It had been a while since they had been to one, several days, in fact. Her wounds were still healing but were in overall good shape since Jack had been consistently cleaning and wrapping them for her. Jacked parked the car and turned it off by moving the wires away from each other, before taking his seatbelt off and opening the door. (Y/n) grabbed his arm before he could get out, resulting in him staying in the car and looking at her, awaiting her next words.

"Are you not worried about me running away?"

Jack smirked at her. "Like I said back in the basement, (Y/n), I'm far from the worst thing out there. I'm trying to protect you. If you do choose to leave, you'll be signing your death warrant." Jack continued to get out of the car, leaving (Y/n) to her own thoughts, before she decided to get out as well, knowing that he was more than likely correct. Although Jack knew he wasn't exaggerating in the slightest, he definitely also knew that he was still the one standing in (Y/n)'s way of freedom. Although that thought made him deeply unhappy, it was too late to turn back now. He had dug his own grave, and subsequently, (Y/n)'s as well. If he could turn back, he would truthfully do it all over again and allow her to live a happy life, free from his selfishness and free from the suffering she was currently in.

Inconspicuously attempting to blend in by talking to each other on the side of the building, Jack carrying the backpack while (Y/n) carried the book and the blanket, they both began to look around subtly. It was, fortunately, not incredibly busy, since they were still in the country close to the middle of nowhere. Jack saw two cars that could be stolen, with one whose owner was getting out, presumably to pay for gas. Jack turned to look at (Y/n).

"Fuck, this is about to be so difficult. We have to take that SUV over there," he gestured with his head, "but it clearly needs gas since the owner is getting out to pay for it. He probably also took the keys. I need you to do me a favor, (Y/n). Can I trust you?" (Y/n) looked up at the eyes of the man before her, thinking about everything they had been through at this point. Can he trust me? If I wanted to escape, this is the perfect time to do it. Then again, I also trust what he says about his boss. Is it really safest with Jack? Will he really protect me? Deciding to follow her gut, (Y/n) took a deep breath in, before listening to his plan.

As (Y/n) entered the gas station with money in her hand, she began to look around the gas station, deciding to grab a coke out of the cooler to look unsuspicious. As she approached the counter to pay, she noticed the owner of the SUV in front of her, a skinny, tall man that was already paying for his gas. As soon as she saw the transaction go through, (Y/n) took a deep breath in, before opening the coke and beginning to take a sip. Glancing outside to ensure Jack had begun pumping the gas, she received another thumbs up once he had successfully broken into the car. Pretending to stumble, (Y/n) intentionally spilled her drink all over the guy in front of her.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, sir. Please, allow me to help you with that." (Y/n) took some napkins and began to clean off his coat and clothes.

"Ma'am, it's seriously no worry, it's okay. Why don't you go in front of me and pay for that while I clean myself up?"

"Are you sure? Oh, thank you so much. Again, I apologize. It has not been my day at all." As (Y/n) continued to stall for time, she slowly grabbed the money out of her pocket to pay for the drink, before looking outside and seeing Jack with the car successfully started. Throwing the money on the counter and yelling a 'thank you!' behind her, she fast walked out to the car, quickly throwing the passenger door open and driving off with Jack successfully.

"How did it go?"

(Y/n) smirked at Jack as she began to giggle. "You missed out on some class acting." Jack and (Y/n) laughed with each other as they continued to drive away to their new unknown destination.

Author's Note: Happy Holidays, everyone!!!