Time passes and friends are gone

Khazad-Dûm, Realm of the Dwarves, Middle-Earth

The journey to the mountain was long but uneventful, and Elanor, dressed in her lighter armour, enjoyed the long days of observing her surroundings and discussing with Elrond and Celebrimbor. On the day they arrived at the foot of the mountain, the sun was high in the sky, shining its bright rays directly on the mountain's surface. The small company walked the rest of the road, guiding them to Khazad-dûm's entrance.

Elanor stopped a few away from an impressive door carved into the very stone of the mountain. She watched around her, taking in the green of the foliage covering the rock and the birds chirping above their heads. The place seemed peaceful. It was her first time going to Khazad-dûm or even hoping to converse with the dwarves for another reason than conflict, and she felt pleased to have joined Elrond and Celebrimbor for the occasion.

"An alliance with the Dwarves would be the diplomatic achievement of the age," she commented, turning to her companions. Elrond smiled at her while Celebrimbor nodded slightly. He, too, was observing the mountain.

"I agree. I am proud to be part of it, and it is all thanks to Lord Elrond's quick thinking."

The Half-Elf's smile turned slightly embarrassed as he walked closer to the door, Elanor and Celebrimbor on his trail.

"Their prince, Durin, is an old and dear friend. Almost like a brother to me."

"I've heard the Dwarves have greatly expanded their halls of late," the older Elf added, his eyes pensively following the lines of the rocks.

Elanor, whose excitation only grew, could not help but watch everything with wide eyes, anticipation throbbing under her skin as she spoke with enthusiasm.

"To prepare for our journey, I have read the most exciting books in Eregion's library," she said with a bright smile, "all about Khazad-dûm and the Dwarves that live there. It was all so fascinating! I cannot wait to visit the city."

As she spoke, her hands moving slightly around her, Elrond watched her with a fond smile as he listened. Even Celebrimbor shared a similar expression, although he was closer to amusement than fondness.

"The Dwarves sculpt the rock with the respect of one who cares for an aged parents... isn't it fascinating?" Elanor continued, unaware of the eyes on her. 

She turned, facing Elrond with a large grin stretching her lips, and for a moment, Elanor appeared truly youthful, her thirst for knowledge similar to the one of a child discovering the world for the first time. Elrond smiled softly in reply, a little helpless as he found himself unable to do or say anything else for a moment.

"I had no idea you admired them so much," he said, his smile barely dimming as he spoke.

"Her mother was just the same," Celebrimbor declared, and Elanor and Elrond turned their attention to him, "Nothing could quench her thirst for knowledge. It was awe-inspiring."