Dismay and wishful thinking

Númenor, Island of the Kingdom of Men

When Galadriel reached Númeror's shore, she was immediately brought to the Queen Regent Miriel. The Queen was waiting in a large hall, surrounded by open windows and long golden and blue curtains, with at its centre a long table and, by it, Queen Miriel. She waited, tall and regal, draped in red and gold, her crown heavily resting on her hair, covering the brown of her hair and complementing the deep brown of her almost perfect skin.

Galadriel watched her as she walked inside the hall, joining the Queen at the table. Four maps were spread over its surface, all of them representing the lands of the Middle-Earth. She glanced at the Queen, hope rising in her chest.

"You have asked for an army," the Queen spoke, "I will give you such. But I need more information before I send my people to cross the sea to, perhaps, death."

Galadriel nodded graciously, "Surely, your Majesty."

The Queen only stared at the Elf, her face neutral, but her eyes were glaring raging storms at Galadriel before she turned away, calling for an attendant.

"Bring the Southlander," she ordered, and the young man immediately left the room, his rushed steps echoing through the corridors.

They waited in silence, soon joined by Chancellor Ar-Pharazôn, then finally, after long minutes, by Halbrand himself. He stepped inside the hall dressed as a smith, sweat and dark grim covering his skin, yet he held himself with elegance and nobleness. He joined them at the table, leaning slightly over it as he observed the maps spread.

Immediately, the Queen got to work, silently studying the map for a moment before pointing to a line — Galadriel noted it was a river — over it, turning to Halbrand.

"Is it where the enemy was last sighted?" She inquired, and the man nodded.

"And where did they head next?"

"Further south, I should think," Halbrand leaned a little more, showing the Queen where on the map. "Towards the watchtower of Ostirith."

At the familiar name, Galadriel froze, her eyes widening slightly. Ostirith was among the places Elanor and her soldiers were commanded to go, and she knew her sister had sent some of her combatants over as reinforcement to the already present troops. Suddenly, worry clutched Galadriel's heart as she thought that perhaps Elanor had recovered quicker than she had believed and that Gil-galad had sent her to follow her soldiers to Ostirith. Galadriel shivered then, forcing herself not to think of the worse, not to think of her sister confronted with the horde of orcs, but the worry, the dread, had already rooted itself deep within her and refused to vanish.

When she focused back on the meeting, the Chancellor was nodding, confirming that he would share the information with the sea and royal guards as he took one of the maps and left the room.