The flames of hopeless dreams

Lindon, Middle Earth

Elanor's footsteps barely resonated in the corridor as she made her way to the King's diner hall. She could feel the cold of the evening breeze hitting her skin and the sweet smell of earth and nature around her, slowly soothing and calming her mind. When she finally reached the hall, she felt as steady and peaceful as lake's water, ready to face the long hours of making small talk and smiling.

All the guests and hosts were already present, and Elanor quickly realised they had been waiting for her arrival. She smiled, the curve of her lips quirking up pleasantly as she reached the central arch and bowed graciously in Gil-galad's direction. As she did so, she did not miss the way Elrond's eyes followed her movements, his gaze slowly rolling over her body, taking in her dress and, simply, her presence, and Elanor had to force herself to tone her smile down.

"Lady Elanor, your beauty is a pleasure to behold," the King greeted her with a smile, raising his hand to ask her to straighten up and join them. "Come sit," he added, showing the empty seat by his side.

"Good evening, Masters Dwarves. Lord Celebrimbor," Elanor sat next to the King, bowing to the dwarves and then to Celebrimbor before turning to Elrond, her pleasant smile changing to a slightly flirty smirk. "Elrond."

Then, in a manner utterly unusual to the Half-Elf, or any other Elf, the tip of his ears started turning pink, while his aquamarine eyes still followed Elanor as if unable to look away. Celebrimbor smiled knowingly as he watched the Half-Elf's emotions shifting over his face, while Durin, who had been silently sitting until now, smirked, raising his eyebrows at his friend.

"You look rather good for an Elf, Commander," the Prince commented, smiling amusingly at Elanor as he turned to her. Chuckling slightly at his words, the She-Elf watched him briefly before resting her forearms on the table, waiting.

"You clean up rather well for a Dwarf, Your Lordship," she replied, glancing in the dwarf direction with a friendly smile.

Then, wine was served, filling the crystal glasses, and eventually, the King took his and raised it barely above his head as he spoke:

"To an enduring union between our two great peoples. Khazad and Noldor."

Elanor watched him, his long brown hair as dark as his eyes, contrasting with the milky white of his skin and robe, enhancing the golden patterns stitched into it. She observed attentively the way he smiled at the dwarven envoys and Durin. She still thought it was quite strange that Gil-galad had suddenly decided it would be judicious to ally the Elves and the Dwarves together after centuries of rivalry. Not that she was complaining. She was more than happy to see such futilities finally behind both their races, yet she could not help but question its suddenness.

"To the union," the King added, and Elanor watched everyone around her raising their glass. She followed, focusing back on the present. She noticed how Elrond seemed to smile contentedly from his side of the table, the glow of his smile shining brighter than anyone else at the table. Perhaps because he was the most genuine in his attention, she thought.