The whispered song of a pure heart

Khazad-dûm, Middle-Earth

Elrond ran through the corridors, his heart racing so fast he felt it would leap out his chest, while his mind swam with thoughts between Durin lost under the stone and Elanor's distress in his arms, yet calm as she stepped inside the collapsed tunnel. He rushed, looking for anyone. Finally, he found an escort walking his way, and he hailed them.

"HEY! I NEED HELP!" He shouted, running to them as the escort halted. "A shaft in the Old Mine collapsed," he told them, barely winded but highly panicked, "Prince Durin is inside, as well as my friend and four other dwarves."

Quickly, the leader turned to one of the soldiers, exclaiming in his tongue. Elrond managed to understand that the soldier went to warn Disa while another rushed to the King.

*

Elrond was brought to a long chamber carved in stone with tall pillars and detailed arabesques, runes and glyphs engraved in the stone. With one look around, the Half-Elf knew he was in an extraordinary place, and his impression was reinforced when Disa walked in, dressed in her ceremonial clothes, covered in grey silk, chainmail and bright gold from head to toe. Her long curly black hair was falling freely against her back, her eyes glaring storms as she marched to the centre of the chamber, two other she-dwarves trailing after her. They were quickly followed by a group of a dozen dwarves wearing, instead of their usual chest plates and leather clothes, long dark elegant robes. They all held one small candle, the flames burning high in the room. 

Elrond observed it all, perplexed at first, until Disa opened her mouth, a delicate yet deep sound escaping her lips, slowly changing into a long and melodious lament. A plea, he understood. Disa was singing a request to the mountain. Her baritone and clear voice was almost hypnotising, as her tone went high then low, following the rhythm of a song only she had the secret. Suddenly, as if to answer the voice, the mountain started shaking, the rubble moving on the floor, creating thin brown and grey rivers.

Disa's singing intensified, the strength of her voice echoing around as Elrond watched. He knew it was a great honour to witness such an event, yet his heart was shadowed with worry for his friend, for the many dwarves still stuck under the earth and stones, and for Elanor, somewhere inside the mountain. He closed his eyes for a moment, steadying himself and pushing all thoughts of Elanor far away in the corner of his mind, for he had to stay strong and focus if he wanted to help her and the dwarves. However, the longer Disa sang, the more the mountain rumbled, the gravel scrapping against the rock as it moved. Elrond looked down at his feet where the pebble shifted in rhythm with the She-dwarf's voice, fascinated by the phenomenon.

The singing lasted long enough until Disa fell silent, hands close to her chest. She stayed standing in her place, whispering words of encouragement to the dwarves that came to her. Elrond stayed as well, watching from afar and waiting for the wife of his friend to be alone. When she was, he slowly walked to her.