Salute the Commander

(Disclaimer: this picture is not mine, but kudos to whoever draw it because it's absolutely beautiful)

Lindon, Realm of the Elves, Middle Earth

Quick footsteps echoed in the hallways, followed by the quiet whooshing of capes grazing the marble floor as Elanor, clad in her armour, and the soldier who had come knocking on her door marched through the corridors in the direction of one of the healer's room. It was not Elrond who dealt with the wounded soldier from Ostirith, but some other skilled elf, for the Half-Elf had left Lindon with Durin for Khazad-dûm to try to convince the Dwarven King to help save the Elven people. Or at least that was what the short missive he had sent Elanor said.

When she arrived in the room, she immediately dismissed the healer, going to take a seat by the bed. The soldier, an Elf with long black hair and bright green eyes, which contrasted pleasantly with the darkness of his skin, was awake, although he seemed to struggle to keep his eyes open.

Elanor smiled kindly, taking the elf's hand in hers, and the soldier smiled back, immediately soothed.

"I am High Commander Elanor of Aman. You have called for me with an important message from Ostirith," she declared softly, careful not to rush the definitely exhausted elf, "what is your name, soldier?"

The elf, his eyes widening slightly at the realisation that he was in the presence of such an important personage, tried to straighten by leaning against the pillows of his bed. Still, only a pained moan escaped his lips, and he stopped trying, instead answering Elanor with utmost respect and deference.

"Gael, Commander."

Elanor nodded, arranging the pillows behind him.

"What were you before the war, Soldier Gael?"

He blinked at her a few times, wondering why she was asking such a question when he had believed she would interrogate him about the content of the missive and Ostirith.

"A fisher."

"Where?"

"By the shores of Tol Eressëa, Commander."

Elanor nodded once more, smiling something discreet at the name of the Lonely Island, remembering the beauty of its landscape.

"You come from a beautiful place," she only said after a short moment before straightening and staring at Gael. "The message you came with," she continued, her voice sterner now, "it was written by a soldier named Arondir. He is not from my fleet. Who is he?"

At the name, the soldier straightened a little more, respect and loyalty glowing in his green eyes.

"He's a soldier like me, Commander. He was stationed in the Southlands seventy-nine years ago to watch the land's inhabitants to ensure they do not revert to darkness as their ancestors did in the past. But he was drafted and became a soldier during the Second Age... He used to be a grower before that."